Search found 150 matches

by mike_t_norris
Wed May 28, 2014 2:49 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (May 2014)
Replies: 0
Views: 1205

Fylde Area Group (May 2014)

The group met on the 22nd May, with a good attendance of nine members with apologies from two. Amongst those present was Ian Everett from the Cumbria Group who brought his Black Five for a test following the discussions last month and some problems encountered with it. He was pleased that it had a g...
by mike_t_norris
Sat May 10, 2014 6:38 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (April 2014)
Replies: 4
Views: 2293

Re: Fylde Area Group (April 2014)

Hi Ian,

Look forward to seeing it and to seeing you, should make it an interesting night.
by mike_t_norris
Thu May 08, 2014 2:58 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (April 2014)
Replies: 4
Views: 2293

Re: Fylde Area Group (April 2014)

Hi Ian, Yes I have a Black Five, but it has a Coment chassis underneath it. Yes I also had problems with front steps, but only on the my tightest of curves, the main curves at the end of the layout (approx 40" radius) are Ok, it the corssover on those curves, probably down to 30"! A bit of...
by mike_t_norris
Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:05 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (April 2014)
Replies: 4
Views: 2293

Fylde Area Group (April 2014)

The 17th April saw a lightly attended meeting with six members present and apologies from four. As it was the Thursday before Easter, it was to be expected as a number of members had visitors of holidays planned. Unfortunately Bob Ellis is still suffering health problems and we all wish him a speedy...
by mike_t_norris
Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:31 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (March 2014)
Replies: 0
Views: 1027

Fylde Area Group (March 2014)

A week earlier on the 13th March, due to a visit to the Severn Valley Steam Gala on our normal week, saw six members present, with apologies from three. Although fog had settled in by the time everyone left, so it was not a pleasant evening outside the railway room. There were a couple of visiting l...
by mike_t_norris
Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:51 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (February 2014)
Replies: 0
Views: 965

Fylde Area Group (February 2014)

We had a good turnout in February with eight members present and apologies for two. There were also a number of visiting locomotives including a return visit for John’s completed 28XX loco, not fitted with a YouChoos sound chip. This was a source of great entertainment, the sound provided is pretty ...
by mike_t_norris
Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:54 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (January 2014)
Replies: 0
Views: 979

Fylde Area Group (January 2014)

We had reasonable weather for our January meeting on the 16th which resulted in nine members being present and apologies from one. This is probably what our core will remain as until the lighter nights come along later in the year. A number of visiting locos made an appearance, and this provoked muc...
by mike_t_norris
Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:19 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (December 2013)
Replies: 0
Views: 939

Fylde Area Group (December 2013)

The 5th of December was our annual slide show and hotpot supper, supported by 10 members and friends. Unfortunately due to the weather (high winds) Jim Lord and Richard Dunning offered apologies as roads were impassable; this left the rest of us with the task of eating their fill. Bob Ellis was unab...
by mike_t_norris
Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:47 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (November 2013)
Replies: 0
Views: 965

Fylde Area Group (November 2013)

The 14th of November was well attended with eight members present and apologies for two. Once again Richard brought along a couple of engines to run and I managed to get a few pictures which I have attached below. Also Tony brought along a number of wagons he has been working on, along with photogra...
by mike_t_norris
Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:46 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (October 2013)
Replies: 0
Views: 1029

Fylde Area Group (October 2013)

The 24th of October saw eight members attending the meeting with apologies from one. Again we had another new member, but this time very local, in fact it took Steve Leal just 10 minute from his home to the meeting. Steve was introduced to the others as they arrived, and I think he very quickly foun...
by mike_t_norris
Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:58 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (September 2013)
Replies: 0
Views: 902

Fylde Area Group (September 2013)

The 12th September saw the group meet following our short summer recess, with six members present and apologies from two. This included a new member to the group Richard Dunning, who had recently moved back into the area having previously been a member of the Cambridge, Herts and Essex Area Group (C...
by mike_t_norris
Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:57 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (July 2013)
Replies: 0
Views: 1143

Fylde Area Group (July 2013)

The 18th July saw the Fylde Area Group meet with eight members present and apologies from one. Given the fine hot weather this was a good turnout, fortunately my wife made a special trip to provide cold drinks rather than my usual tea and coffee, which made the steamy atmosphere of the railway room ...
by mike_t_norris
Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:42 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (June 2013)
Replies: 0
Views: 1089

Fylde Area Group (June 2013)

The 20th of June saw the Fylde Group meet with a good show of nine members present, with apologies from one, it was particularly good to Arthur Kimber and a fair number of his kits present (marketed under the name North Eastern Kits), which seem to be going from strength to strength. As usual many t...
by mike_t_norris
Thu May 23, 2013 8:15 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (May 2013)
Replies: 1
Views: 1452

Fylde Area Group (May 2013)

The 16th May saw us getting together for the May meeting with five members present and apologies from three. Martin and John both brought things to run and this time I did manage to get my camera out and get a couple of pictures, more of which later. As usual various topics were covered, with time s...
by mike_t_norris
Wed May 01, 2013 8:35 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (April 2013)
Replies: 0
Views: 1129

Fylde Area Group (April 2013)

Time seems to have gotten away with me this month and hence I am late writing up the meeting. The 11th of April saw five members and a visitor present with apologies from two. The new visitor, Wayne, who although not a P4 modeller (or Society member) seemed interested in what the group was about and...
by mike_t_norris
Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:45 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (March 2013)
Replies: 0
Views: 1119

Fylde Area Group (March 2013)

This month the meeting was earlier than usual, due to some members visiting the West Somerset Steam Gala next week. Therefore the 14th of March saw seven members and visitors present with apologies from two. By usual standards it was a fairly quiet night, with only a single loco visiting, a Great We...
by mike_t_norris
Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:18 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (February 2013)
Replies: 0
Views: 1111

Fylde Area Group (February 2013)

The 21st of February saw an excellent turnout, with ten members present. Bob Ellis brought along a sample of inside chaired track he had made. Peter Sutherland brought a pair of 4-4-2 locos for a run, a 4600 class and a County. Whilst Martin Walmsley brought another one of his diminutive locomotives...
by mike_t_norris
Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:51 am
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (January 2013)
Replies: 0
Views: 1266

Fylde Area Group (January 2013)

Happy New Year! The 17th of January saw our first meeting of the New Year, with seven members present, a good turn out considering the impending snow forecast. Apologies were received from three other members. The highlight was a test run by an absolutely superb Great Northern 2-8-0 brought be Tom M...
by mike_t_norris
Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:08 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (December 2012)
Replies: 0
Views: 1199

Fylde Area Group (December 2012)

The 6th of December saw the group meet at ‘The Anchor Inn’ at Lostock Hall for our annual hotpot supper. Numbers were down slightly this year, with 11 members and guests present. The sudden heavy snowfall defeated those from Cumbria making it to the meeting. There was a small amount of society busin...
by mike_t_norris
Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:17 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (November 2012)
Replies: 0
Views: 1175

Fylde Area Group (November 2012)

With October’s meeting cancelled due to over running engineering works (well building works), this was the first meeting for sometime. There were seven members present with apologies from three, Graham having severe back problems, for which we all wish him a speedy recovery. The layout is now re-ass...
by mike_t_norris
Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:57 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (September 2012)
Replies: 2
Views: 1716

Re: Fylde Area Group (September 2012)

The 6 week blockade of Preston was lifted last weekend with the Up Fast being returned to the operating department on the 4th November at 18:30, (the Down Fast at 18:45), all subject to speed restrictions and hand signalling. The Up and Down through lines were open to traffic on the 5th November, wi...
by mike_t_norris
Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:08 am
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (September 2012)
Replies: 2
Views: 1716

Re: Fylde Area Group (September 2012)

Due to over running engineering works, well building works ! The garage is not currently available for our meeting and the layout is partially dismantled (photo of the current state shown above). Therefore I am forced to cancel the October meeting, please accept my apologies for this and for the sho...
by mike_t_norris
Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:00 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (September 2012)
Replies: 2
Views: 1716

Fylde Area Group (September 2012)

The 20th September saw a disappointingly low number attend the operating session at John James Benfieldside, with only four members present. This does confirm my views of last month, that whilst we have some extremely accomplished modellers in the group; operation is definitely of little interest on...
by mike_t_norris
Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:34 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (August 2012)
Replies: 5
Views: 2583

Re: Fylde Area Group (August 2012)

Hi Howard, The interlocking is electronic, the frames were simply too big to it any otherway. They implement dead locks (i.e. locks and released) and special locking (i.e. reading over a route - typically for shunt signals). Basically if the lever is locked an LED lights in front of the lever, if it...
by mike_t_norris
Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:24 pm
Forum: Fylde
Topic: Fylde Area Group (August 2012)
Replies: 5
Views: 2583

Re: Fylde Area Group (August 2012)

Hi Ian, Glad you enjoyed the night. As for the apathy, for most of the meetings it doesn't really matter, to make the layout work I need a minimum number of at least 7, it really doesn't function on less than that (except for really experienced operators), so this was one of the few meetings a reall...

Go to advanced search