D&S Coach kits - catalogue

DougN

D&S Coach kits - catalogue

Postby DougN » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:48 am

As I have been building a few of these kits which I have managed to source. I was thinking about what else Danny produced all those years ago (and from my understanding is produced sporadically) Does anyone have a catalogue of what Danny produced that could be put online? This could be updated as to who the current holders of the kits are, therefore it is easier for the members to find the kit they are after. Also the items that are still held by Danny.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

John Bateson

Re: D&S Coach kits - catalogue

Postby John Bateson » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:28 am

"Quote
16 Feb 2011
The Great Central Railway Society is in the final stages of taking over manufacture and distribution of the following ex-D&S etched 4mm kits:-

DS 60 - GCR Long Open Wagon (Cast)
DS 69 - GCR 15t Brake Van
DS 68 - GCR 15t Long Wheelbase Van
DS 73 - GCR GCR Louvered Milk Van
DS 74 - GCR Clerestory Meat Van
DS 75 - LD&ECR Horse Box
DS 77 - GCR 4 wheel CCT
DS 58 - GCR Parker 3rd 45ft Carriage
DS 59 - GCR Parker 3rd Brake 45ft Carriage."

I think you have to be a member to buy these at a discounted price.
http://www.gcrsociety.co.uk/

I don't know how many of these have re-entered production yet but there does seem to be a lot of interest in them.

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:59 am

Not coaches but the LNWR 10T brake van is now produced by London Road Models.

I believe that the w/m wagon kits mainly went to ABS but haven't reappeared.

Jol

iak

Postby iak » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:10 pm

In reply to the OP, the below is a resume of the most recent planned reruns Dan did:

April-May 2011
GNR 6-wheel stock & articulated sets, carriage trucks (open & closed), which in general covered the period 1890 to BR days, with examples of six-wheel stock lasting in departmental use until the 1960’s.

All @ £28.50 each plus £1.90 p&p
DS 266 6-wheel luggage brake
DS 267 6-wheel milk/fruit van
DS 282 6-wheel third Dia. 245
DS 283 6-wheel brake third Dia. 281
DS 285 6-wheel composite Dia. 156

All @ £20.50 each plus £1.90 p&p
DS 268 4-wheel CCT Dia. 364
DS 289 4-wheel CCT Dia. 360

At £18.50 plus £1.90 p&p
DS 290 4-wheel OCT Dia. 375

Articulated sets can be supplied as twins @ £65, triplets @ £96.50 and quads @ £124. Set information sheet available on request.

May-June 2011
NER Clerestory 52ft coaches. These span a period again from the 1890’s to the early BR mid-1950 period. Many were cascaded in the 1930’s to other areas on the LNER, including the GE Section, where they formed an integral part.

Price to be advised.
DS 171 NER 52’ Clerestory third Dia. 14
DS 172 NER 52’ Clerestory composite Dia. 5
DS 173 NER 52’ Clerestory locker comp Dia. 7
DS 186 NER 52’ Clerestory comp bk third Dia. 76

Autumn 2011
To follow those above, will be GNR bogie stock, GER six wheelers and NPCS from the LNER & its constituents.

Things did go quiet so what is going on at the moment will no doubt come to light when he is good and ready.
However... check the front page of the Brassmasters web-site, they have commissioned a run of:

DS802 Cowans Sheldon crane
DS556 LYR standard 10ton (Tintab) Diagram 2
DS560 LYR standard 20-ton Diagram 61A
DS561 LYR 6 wheel 20ton Diagram 61A
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

Will L

Postby Will L » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:23 pm

DougN wrote:Does anyone have a catalogue of what Danny produced that could be put online?

Doug

I have Danny's spring 05 list which I believe shows almost all the things he ever sold in 4mm.

Copy attached
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Postby DougN » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:33 am

Thanks for all this information. I think there was also some of the whitemetal wagons went across to 51L. I hope that IAK is right that some of the kits are comming back into production. I hope the partnering with the line societies by Danny works well. That is quite a product list to keep control over. As I seem to be a little addicted to building coach kits at the moment (only have 3 on the go currently) I hope when this little lot is finished I can get some more as they are quite entertaining to put together.

As an aside I wonder if Danny could use the relationship with Brassmasters to distribute the kits on his behalf that way making them available to another generation of modellers. I say that as a "new generation modeller" and after enjoying building the kits so far!
Doug

David B

Postby David B » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:38 am

For what it's worth, I have a copy of the 1986-7 catalogue.

David

D&S 1986-7.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pheald

Postby pheald » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:45 pm

'I think there was also some of the whitemetal wagons went across to 51L.'

Some of the white metal wagon kits were sold on to 51L and subsequently sold on to David Geen. These include the LNWR, LYR some NER and are available from David. Subsequently a second lot of white metal kits was sold to the reincarntion of 51L these include NER and NBR wagons. The 51L range is now part of Model Signal Engineering and are available from Andrew Hartsthorne's on-line shop at Wizard Models (http://www.wizardmodels.co.uk).

D&S later sold the remainder of the white metal kits to ABS and as far as I am aware these have yet to reappear for sale. Perhaps someone might like to ask Adrain Swain about his plans at Expo in May?
Last edited by grovenor-2685 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please use [quote] for quotes rather than some illegible colour, thanks KN.

Russ Elliott

Postby Russ Elliott » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:35 pm

pheald wrote:D&S later sold the remainder of the white metal kits to ABS and as far as I am aware these have yet to reappear for sale.

ABS has been selling the GWR AA16 brake van.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:58 pm

pheald wrote:D&S later sold the remainder of the white metal kits to ABS and as far as I am aware these have yet to reappear for sale. Perhaps someone might like to ask Adrain Swain about his plans at Expo in May?

Not quite so...

I've spoken to DannyP a few times about various kits. He still retains the Great Eastern kits as he has a personal interest in modelling GER, so these are useful to him.

The biggest problem that he has said he has, and this would affect both the GER kits and any others that he does for societies or Brassmasters, is that the moulds for the whitemetal castings are close to worn out. That means that he sometimes takes several attempts to get satisfactory castings out of the process. Whilst that might be acceptable to produce a few for his personal use, it's no way that you can run a business.

That said, he remains keen to provide support where he can, and talked a few months ago about a limited edition run of horse boxes.

Cheers
Flymo
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

mikeh-49395

Postby mikeh-49395 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:22 pm

I've recently (early December) recieved several NER coach kits from Danny, including some 52ft clerestories and some arc roof.

They were £48 each IIRC.

In addition to some of those listed by iak, they comprised:

DS187 Dia 77 5 compartment clerestory brake third
DS222 Dia 63 arc roof composite (the full third was also available when I asked)
DS223 Dia 53 arc roof brake third
DS226 Dia 116 clerestory auto coach

I think a couple more types may have been available.

I'm looking forward to some NPCS as and when they may be available (the bank balance won't be though :) )

Cheers

Mike

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:32 am

Jol Wilkinson wrote:I believe that the w/m wagon kits mainly went to ABS but haven't reappeared. Jol

The GWR outside-frame cattle wagon (Diagram W2) was modified by Adrian Swain and re-issued as an ABS kit, which I assume is still available from him.

I can't recall if there are any others.

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:52 am

martin goodall wrote:The GWR outside-frame cattle wagon (Diagram W2) was modified by Adrian Swain and re-issued as an ABS kit, which I assume is still available from him.

A Double Bolster "Macaw A", an outside frame Brake Van AA16 and a Loriot L (what ever that is).

Will

David B

Postby David B » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:52 am

Will L wrote: . . . and a Loriot L (what ever that is).

It was a flat machinery wagon. The attached image comes from GWR Goods Wagons, Atkins, Beard & Tourret. Tourret Publishing, 1998, p152

David

Loriot L.jpg

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:07 pm

martin goodall wrote:
Jol Wilkinson wrote:I believe that the w/m wagon kits mainly went to ABS but haven't reappeared. Jol

The GWR outside-frame cattle wagon (Diagram W2) was modified by Adrian Swain and re-issued as an ABS kit, which I assume is still available from him.

The LNWR vans, hopper wagon, etc. in the 1986/7 which were white metal aren't available, AFAIK.

Looking at that list I am reminded that the LNWR 6w Milk van and Luggage van also went to London Road Models, as did the L&Y six wheel carriages.

Jol

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:36 pm

davidb wrote:
Will L wrote: . . . and a Loriot L (what ever that is).

It was a flat machinery wagon. The attached image comes from GWR Goods Wagons, Atkins, Beard & Tourret. Tourret Publishing, 1998, p152

Are yes I remember. Now my memory is reviving, it is suggesting that it was an etched kit.

Yes it was, I have one in the inbuilt kit store!

Will

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:34 am

I am glad that the idea of listing the kits has helped people remember kits of the past and of the current issue. It seems that a reasonable number of kits are still avialable.

I was at a local meeting today, the consensus of the kits that I have been building actually got a number of modellers juices following. A strange question that I have thought is could the S4 soc help Danny in any way to make his kits again available in short runs to a larger number of members?
Doug

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:51 am

Doug,

I think that Danny is proceeding at his own pace and may not wish to change that. Don't forget that he retired once and has possibly only got back into limited production due to demand from a number of us. The 7mm items have gone elsewhere, as did some of the 4mm. He may not be too interested in getting too heavily involved in a "commercial" activity again.

For example he had the etched tooling for the LNWR footbridge commissioned by Geoff. Williams. When I enquired about it, he wasn't enthusiastic to do the work required in producing it as a kit (it needs patterns for the columns, instructions, etc.). Guess who's got the etch tooling now.

Jol

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:01 am

I guess Jol that it what I was thinking about.... I am aware that there is a large number of suppliers of "cast to order suppliers" (Investment castings) in Hong Kong/China area. I guess as you say Danny may not be interested in managing that process or in doing the castings any way... Umm managing to out source the bits that he doesn't want to do? Oh well until someone comes up with the solution that is ammicable to both parties is the trick. I admit that I am not in that position just thinking aloud more than anything.
Doug

Return to “Coaches and NPCS”