Beer and Buckjumpers

Hardwicke

Re: Whoops!

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:18 am

Martin Wynne wrote:
Paul Willis wrote:Good job that I have a spare pair tucked away somewhere that came as a freebie with my 3D printer.

Hi Paul,

Look at them closely. The originals are called "Xuron". The ones supplied with the 3D printer are marked "Xoron" in identical text and logo.

Martin.

Cheap Chinese copyright infringement...
Not that they're known for that...
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Jol Wilkinson

Re: Beer and Buckjumpers

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:17 am

40C wrote:Have a look for Cruz Tools guitar string cutters as a replacement.

Xuron rail cutters are supposed to give a "clean" cut, leaving little/no filing to be done. A look at the Xuron website shows that this si something they claim for many of their wide variety of cutters. Would the Cruz cutters do the same?

Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:23 am

Hi,

I do not like to be without my 'go to' tools (and I am a bit heavy-handed !) so always keep a stash of Xurons in reserve awaiting their call to duty .....

20231222_085821.jpg

Cheers,

Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

timlewis

Postby timlewis » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:52 am

Didn't Xuron cutters used to have a lifetime guarantee? I broke a pair of rail cutters many years ago - took them back to Eileen's (where I'd bought them) and got a free replacement. Don't know whether this still applies.

Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:50 am

Hi Tim,

timlewis wrote:Didn't Xuron cutters used to have a lifetime guarantee? I broke a pair of rail cutters many years ago - took them back to Eileen's (where I'd bought them) and got a free replacement. Don't know whether this still applies.

There are two different wordings of the Xuron warranty on the packs I have :-

20231222_111414.jpg

I subject my tools to very heavy use and normally replace them because they are worn out or no longer nice to use. Here is an image of the last retired pair of Xuron pliers - I'd feel ashamed of myself if I tried to get a replacement under warranty :)

20231222_113356.jpg

And they do still function as pliers!

Cheers,

Richard
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:24 pm

timlewis wrote:Didn't Xuron cutters used to have a lifetime guarantee? I broke a pair of rail cutters many years ago - took them back to Eileen's (where I'd bought them) and got a free replacement. Don't know whether this still applies.

Dunno... But this was me abusing them - trying to cut too many lengths of rail at the same time.

So I've feel as though it was unfair to claim on a lifetime warranty, even if one existed.

Now if only I could find the box where I've put the new pair...

Best,
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:52 pm

Paul Willis wrote:

Dunno... But this was me abusing them - trying to cut too many lengths of rail at the same time.

So I've feel as though it was unfair to claim on a lifetime warranty, even if one existed.

Now if only I could find the box where I've put the new pair...

Best,
Paul

Hi Paul.
I have broken several pairs of these cutters over the years and I pretty much only cut rail with them as a result. I only cut one piece of rail at a time, but they still break eventually. I always have spares available in case. The instructions advise cutting HO bull head rail from top to bottom rather than side to side, so just how much faith do the manufactures have in their own product? With our fine profile rail I always cut it side to side to prevent deformation of the head and foot profile regardless, but the rail end still needs to be cleaned up with a fine file afterwards. My wife finds they make good nail cutters and often borrows mine. I also wonder just whose lifetime these warranties refers to, ours or the product? In which case the life ends when the product fails and is effectively meaningless.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

DougN

Postby DougN » Sat Dec 23, 2023 7:53 am

My etched shears broke a couple of years ago they were brilliant I just hope Xuron bring them back into production as I really could use another pair or two. Like you, Paul, I would be embarrassed to claim on the warranty as they had so much use.

I admit I don't mind buying new tools when the old ones have been faithful and constantly used only to fail due to use and age.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:41 pm

Appropriate to part of the title of this topic, this is the Christmas display above the entrance to the old GER station building in Felixstowe.

Buckjumper.jpg

Wetherspoons have dropped their plans to build one of their upmarket hostelries next door, so the Beer part of the title is now somewhat irrelevant locally.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Re: Whoops!

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:28 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:
Paul Willis wrote:Good job that I have a spare pair tucked away somewhere that came as a freebie with my 3D printer.

Hi Paul,

Look at them closely. The originals are called "Xuron". The ones supplied with the 3D printer are marked "Xoron" in identical text and logo.

Martin.

Ah yes! Thanks for the tip-off Martin.

I found them in my spare box of tools, and sure enough...

IMG_9997.JPG

Oh well! I'm sure that they will cope with resin sprue, and I'll pick up a pair of replacement genuine Xuron rail cutters when I next see a stand like Squires at a show.

Best,
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:36 pm

Jol Wilkinson wrote:Appropriate to part of the title of this topic, this is the Christmas display above the entrance to the old GER station building in Felixstowe.

Buckjumper.jpg

Wetherspoons have dropped their plans to build one of their upmarket hostelries next door, so the Beer part of the title is now somewhat irrelevant locally.

And these were the set of Buckjumpers that I spotted at Warley. An imminent launch on the Accurascale stand, they looked very impressive at prototypes.

Accurascale Buckjumpers.JPG

Being a straightforward inside cylinder 0-6-0, they may well turn out to be easy to convert to P4 in due course.

Best,
Paul
www.5522models.co.uk

Return to “Paul Willis”