Upper Leaside - a "light" railway

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
MarkS

Upper Leaside - a "light" railway

Postby MarkS » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:51 am

Initially Upper Leaside was built to OO standards, based on Iain Rice's 'Broadwell Green' article in MORILL from 10? years ago. I wrote an article about it in the April 2008 BRM. David Brown (editor at the time) has come over to visit our Great British Train Show (GBTS) a couple of times, and we used the article to advertise GBTS 2008. I also mentioned that I was re-building it to P4 standards.

UL-1.jpg

The new track is P4Track for the main line, loop and points, with old C&L in the sidings, giving a slight variation in track height.
The layout is very simple, as can be seen, but it does join onto my main home based layout which is far from complete, and in need many buildings.
The baseboards are made of two layers of Styrofoam on a simple "L" girder subframe, making for a warp free, strong and light layout, which I can lift easily despite being 8 feet by 20 inches.

Here are a few pictures so that I don't need to write thousands of words...
Hope you like it!

UL-4.jpg

UL-7.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Mark.
"In the end, when all is said and done, more will have been said than done..."

nberrington

Re: Upper Leaside - a "light" railway

Postby nberrington » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:00 am

Hi Mark

Can you take a few shots of the baseboard construction for us?

NB

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:25 pm

Neil, this probably covers most of it. The sub base is an "L" girder made up of 1x2 timbers upon which I glued the first layer of 2" Styrofoam. I used latex contact cement.

UL L girder.JPG
ULBaseboard.JPG

A second layer of 2" foam was glued on top to make a baseboard of 4" thick, cut out at the front for the duck pond. I could have used thinner foam without any problems, in fact on the permanent layout I am using 2" foam on "L" girder construction but it is a bit noisier.
The background hill is just more bits of offcut foam. The front fascia is just glued to the foam and extends below the baseboards, where I have velcro patches on the inside for attaching the curtain.
The end plate is screwed to the "L" girder and glued to the foam. Most construction was done with hand tools.
Lastly, the point operating knobs are protected from operators and transportation.

UL point cover.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cheers,

Mark.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:23 pm

The next item on the list was an old brass WSM kit for an RCH wagon that I had bought built, from an estate many years ago. It was OO, so once I knew what it was, I rebuilt it with styrene floor, compensation units and some of the old bits from the kit. It is hand painted and lettered. "Yates" is my wifes family name, and she favours red, so it now adds some colour to the layout...
Cheers,

Mark.

MarkS

Postby MarkS » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:01 pm

This is a picture to show how I control the points on the layout. Since the baseboards are foam, it needed a bit of thought.
The 1/16th downtube fits inside a tube the next size up and then a wire with a crank soldered to it is kinked and glued into the 1/16th tube and is connected to the points up on top.
The problem with foam is wiring can be a bit messy, but then wiring on my normal wood boards is messy too!
Cheers,

Mark.

Return to “Layouts and Operations”