Waterloo Street

Tell us about your layout, where you put it, how you built it, how you operate it.
Wizard of the Moor

Waterloo Street

Postby Wizard of the Moor » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:53 am

Waterloo Street is inspired by the Waterloo Goods branch in Aberdeen. This little known branchline snakes
its way down from Kittybrewster yard to the quayside.

Opened in 1856 as the main Great North of Scotland railway station in Aberdeen, it closed to passenger traffic when the joint station was cronstructed. However, the branch remained busy serving the quayside, the local gasworks, shipyards and a fertilizer factory, amongst others.

In the 70s, the yard was rationalised and used for storing steel pipes for the offshore industry. Later still, it becames the railhead for deliverys of calcium carbonate slurry to Croxton and Garry, and today it sees regular flows of this traffic as well as drilling mud.

The model Waterloo Street is 4mm 18.83mm gauge. It fits into an 18.83 square feet footprint and was entered in the 2008 DEMU/Scalefour Society challenge.

The area can be found between the bridges on Castle Street (the Tarry Brig) and Beach Boulevard in Aberdeen. Of course, the trackplan is compressed to get it into the required size. However, several people have recognised the location, so I must have got it looking reasonably close to reality.

You can see what I am trying to achieve in this photo from the Great North of Scotland Association gallery

Bannermill Sidings on the Waterloo Branch

At the moment, my preferred operating period is the late 70s and early 80s, in the transition from vac braked to air braked working. Many more types of freight are seen onthe layout than every graced the branch in real life. As it is the first layout that I have attempted, it's more of a test track for ideas and techniques than anything else.

The following pictures give some idea of what goes on in this neglected backwater of Scotland's railway system.

The yard pilot is busy shuffling wagons about. The local loons have unplugged the electrical conduit again.

All the sidings lead under the Tarry Brig. The loons are getting bolder. This time they've nicked the paint off the bridge!

It looks like a Western Region permanent way yard today. Someone mis-spelled a requisition form at Awrhyllgwami Quarry. Wonder how that happend...?

A class 20 cautiously noses down the loop looking for a rake of wagons.There is a major renovation of the warehouse planned. Hope the new occupants give it a lick of paint :)

She pics out a Walrus to add to the rake...

...and departs back towards Kittybrester Yard

As one train leaves, the pilot gets on with preparing the next one. Apparently it's heading for the East Midlands this time...

Why not come along to the Nottingham show and see it in action. If you are able to make it then do say Hello. You will also be able to encourage WaveyDavey to break his personal best operating time for a layout.

Many thanks to Penrhos1920 for lending his wagons!
James Dickie

My workbench

Return to “Layouts and Operations”