Cambrian Railways 'Large Goods' 0-6-0 (potentially to be a very limited run kit)

Model and prototype rolling stock, locos, multiple units etc.
Joel-Middleton

Cambrian Railways 'Large Goods' 0-6-0 (potentially to be a very limited run kit)

Postby Joel-Middleton » Mon Dec 25, 2023 12:47 pm

I have spent some time wanting to model a 1920s Cambrian scene, for which I should certainly have some pre-grouping locos and rolling stock.
At the same time I have found myself with a fairly nice 3D printer and coming back into railway modelling after a few years of building ships and aircraft.
As a result I can't think of a way I would enjoy more than trying to do the thing from scratch on CAD and trying to keep the inventory of bought items to a minimum!

To that end I have dug out some books and purchased some drawings from the HMRS.

The plan is the use this thread to chronicle my many failures before (presumably triumphant) success and to ask the knowledgeable folk on here questions as they arise.
The first stupid question is; in IPMS there is a system of Special Interest Groups (SIGs) where folks with a particular (often niche) interest congregate to share information and inspiration. Is there anything similar in the railway modelling world?
The closest I could find was a Welsh Railways Research Circle, are these sorts of organisations worth getting to know for this sort of thing?

Noel

Re: Cambrian Railways 'Large Goods' 0-6-0 (potentially to be a very limited run kit)

Postby Noel » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:53 pm

Joel-Middleton wrote:The closest I could find was a Welsh Railways Research Circle, are these sorts of organisations worth getting to know for this sort of thing?

The WRRC was originally a small research group, but later expanded to include modellers and others interested in Welsh railways, but not necessarily in researching them. It has Line Superintendants for various railways, including the Cambrian Railways, but no SiGs as such, at least when I ceased to be a member, although there are ways of contacting others with similar interests, and the LS should be a good starting point for questions.The Research Centre at Rhiwderin holds lots of photos and documents which may be of use for prototype information.
Regards
Noel

Joel-Middleton

Re: Cambrian Railways 'Large Goods' 0-6-0 (potentially to be a very limited run kit)

Postby Joel-Middleton » Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:43 pm

Thank you!
That is really good to know!

Noel wrote:
Joel-Middleton wrote:The closest I could find was a Welsh Railways Research Circle, are these sorts of organisations worth getting to know for this sort of thing?

The WRRC was originally a small research group, but later expanded to include modellers and others interested in Welsh railways, but not necessarily in researching them. It has Line Superintendants for various railways, including the Cambrian Railways, but no SiGs as such, at least when I ceased to be a member, although there are ways of contacting others with similar interests, and the LS should be a good starting point for questions.The Research Centre at Rhiwderin holds lots of photos and documents which may be of use for prototype information.

Terry Bendall
Forum Team

Postby Terry Bendall » Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:44 am

The logical starting point is the HMRS who have a Cambrian Railways Steward - Alan Rhodes who is also a member of the Scalefour Society. A look at their web site and contact through it with Alan could be useful.

Terry Bendall

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sat Dec 30, 2023 9:57 pm

Have a look at this to save duplication.
https://pregroupingrailways.com/
Peter K used to make a Sharpie (Sharpe Stewart 0-6-0)
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Phil Hudson

Postby Phil Hudson » Sun Dec 31, 2023 12:07 am

Joel
The Welsh Railways Research Circle is the home for enthusiasts of the old Welsh Railways pre and post grouping. They have a clubroom/library in Rhiwderin near Newport. They have also published a number of authoritative books and the most recent one covers the Cambrian Railways Drawings Part 1: 1853-1892. I don't know when the next part/s is due for release but based on part 1 I'm sure it will be just as good. The Cambrian is particularly well covered in the published world but I always return to the RCTS Locomotives of the Great Western part 10 for the Absorbed Engines. This covers virtually all the locomotives for the Cambrian in some detail including what the GWR did with them after the grouping.
As for the Large Goods, I presume you mean the 73 Class 0-6-0 built 1894-1899. Most of these had gone for scrap in the 1930's but some survived into the 40's. If you are interested in the 1920's Cambrian scene then many of the Cambrian engines that survived the grouping ended up being Swindonised and the 73 class was no exception.
Have you discovered the range of kits from Camkits? http://www.taffvale.wales/camkits/CamKi ... 144dpi.pdf
They do a kit for the class 73 plus a couple of other classic Cambrian classes (Albion 2-4-0 & Small Goods 0-6-0)
Phil

Return to “Trains: Model and Prototype”