Supadec

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
Stuartp

Supadec

Postby Stuartp » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:25 pm

S4N 232 contains Andrew Jones' excellent article on the A48 bridge, in which he uses 'Supadec' to make embossed plasticard look considerably less like plasticard and more like the 3D stone it is supposed to represent.

I have several bridges to make and plasticard isn't cutting it for me either. But what is 'Supadec' please ? Googling it brings up a wide range of decorating products, everything from decking paint to dust sheets.

I assume it's one of the filler or adhesive options but does anyone know please ? (Is Mr Jones on here ?)

Thanks.

Daddyman

Re: Supadec

Postby Daddyman » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:33 pm

Stuartp wrote:S4N 232 contains Andrew Jones' excellent article on the A48 bridge, in which he uses 'Supadec' to make embossed plasticard look considerably less like plasticard and more like the 3D stone it is supposed to represent.

I have several bridges to make and plasticard isn't cutting it for me either. But what is 'Supadec' please ? Googling it brings up a wide range of decorating products, everything from decking paint to dust sheets.

I assume it's one of the filler or adhesive options but does anyone know please ? (Is Mr Jones on here ?)

Thanks.

Andrew's often on the S4 virtual group on Zoom every other Wednesday (next meeting this coming Wednesday).

gavin
Web Team

Postby gavin » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:19 pm

Hi
Andrew is already formulating a response about this subject to a letter, both of which will appear in the next News, all being well.
Gavin
Scalefour News Editor

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:43 pm

Beaten me to it! I was going to ask exactly the same question. Having looked at the Supadec website I wonder if it is the Tile Grout?

Place your bets here on which of the several potential products it could be............ :)

Stuartp

Postby Stuartp » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:38 pm

I wondered about the tile grout too ! Thanks all, I shall wait until S4N 233 !

Winander

Postby Winander » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:10 am

Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

garethashenden

Postby garethashenden » Sat Apr 29, 2023 12:17 am

That looks like what Americans call Lightweight Spackle. I'm not sure if there's a generic term in the UK, I never did any building projects in my time there so my knowledge is limited. Lightweight spackle is very good for scenery work, particularly blending/smoothing contours in foam scenery. I'm looking forward to seeing how it can be applied to plastic stonework. As soon as my copy wings its way across the Atlantic...

Lindsay G

Postby Lindsay G » Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:25 am

Looking forward to what was used as that's exactly how I envisaged "embossing" the stonework on a bridge for Barnton.

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Sun Apr 30, 2023 5:12 pm

The first time I learnt of this method for stonework was in a talk given at the club by the late Tony Stoker of Manchester MRC back in the mid 70's. He used a 'medium thick' Polyfilla mix on stonework that had been lightly scribed onto card and undercoat painted. Not every stone was given the 'blob' treatment but the overall effect was (for the day anyway) quite convincing. I've never considered using the method on smooth commercial plastic stonework - but might now.

Return to “Tools and Techniques”