DIY Bearing Countersink for RTR Axleboxes (AKA truck-tuner)

Includes workshop practice, painting and weathering, model photography etc.
Simon_S

DIY Bearing Countersink for RTR Axleboxes (AKA truck-tuner)

Postby Simon_S » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:19 pm

I've just rustled up this simple tool for countersinking the axleboxes of plastic RTR chassis to accept brass bearings:
RTR axle tool 17 October 2014 002.jpg

RTR axle tool 17 October 2014 003.jpg

It's simply a standard pinpoint axle with a waisted brass bearing soldered to each end, then a couple of diagonal slits cut in the side of each bearing with a slitting disc in a mini-drill or a razor saw.
To use it, spring the vehicle's w-irons apart to extract the OO axle and insert the tool in their place. Twiddle the tool for a while until it cuts the required countersink. Extract the tool, insert bearings in the now countersunk holes and insert your P4 axle. The bearings should automatically be the correct distance apart :D
RTR axle tool 17 October 2014 004.jpg

RTR axle tool 17 October 2014 005.jpg

My first vehicle using this tool has come out perfectly square, it will be interesting to see how it runs compared to an identical vehicle that I've fitted with springing instead.

Hope this is of interest, and please excuse the quality of the photos,
Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Re: DIY Bearing Countersink for RTR Axleboxes (AKA truck-tun

Postby DougN » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:13 pm

Oh I do like the simplicity of the tool. I have a OO layout for the RTR instant gratification reasons... A number of the wagons are starting to slow down because of. A lack of bearings now so I too may just make one up this week end.

It is a tool that I had been thinking about but over complicating how it needed to be!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Return to “Tools and Techniques”