Which manufacturers make P4 flexitrack now?

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Captain Kernow

Which manufacturers make P4 flexitrack now?

Postby Captain Kernow » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:41 am

Forgive me if this has already been discussed on this forum.

Apart from C&L, I was wondering who else makes P4 flexitrack these days, please?

Also, with regard to C&L (this in response to a comment from a fellow local modeller), have the current C&L 'thin' sleepered P4 flexitrack moulds been updated recently, please? I have heard a suggestion that in the past, the thin-sleepered P4 flexi track may have had instances of being tight to gauge?

Many thanks.
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Tony Wilkins

Re: Which manufacturers make P4 flexitrack now?

Postby Tony Wilkins » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:07 pm

Hi Tim.
With regard to the second query. I am not sure the problem was down to the moulds, but rather the plastic used, which seemed to shrink over time. More recent batches don't appear to suffer so much with this problem. I acquired a large second hand batch of the thin trackbase for use on my Brimsdown storage sidings (straight track only) and had to sort through the lengths to weed out the under gauge sections although a few were laid before I discovered this. A mint gauge or two forced between the rails and left for several days does appear to improve things for a while, I do at least have the option of replacing them if they become a real problem.

Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

kelly

Postby kelly » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:55 pm

I think Marcway still offer P4 track items and I think that includes flexi track. But they only seem to go to O Gauge shows these days, so that could be out of date information by now.

Otherwise I don't remember anyone else offering it.
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

Jollysmart

Postby Jollysmart » Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:58 pm

SMP P4 track is available via Marcway who took over the range in 2008, according to their website @ £49 for 10yards, other than having used the EM version and for a time assembled it when it was a new product, I know no more.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Wed Oct 04, 2023 2:31 pm

Exactoscale Fast Track is available from the Stores 4FT101A or 4FT102A for gauge widened variant. You have to slide the rail into the bases. Easy, job done, reliable, not-undergauge track.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:30 pm

I don't think C&L offer a thin sleepered flexitrack these days, their new variety is thicker sleepered. I have some of the earlier thin sleepered C&L track in use and it seems OK to gauge. Exactoscale FastTrack is my preference for running lines, accurate to gauge and I have used it on all the main line trackage on the new layout with complete reliability, but it is full depth sleepers.

I need quite a few yards for sidings, so the most economical just now is SMP Scaleway. I called them a while back and he said it was 18.88 mm gauge, which is just fine (!) and a member of the East of Scotland group mentioned at a recent Zoom that he has used it and is happy with it. It's also the most economical, at £49 for 10 yards, less than third of the price of the new C&L!

Having compared Scaleway to old thin C&L, I can see hardly any difference - it will be fine for sidings.

Philip

David Catton

Postby David Catton » Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:26 pm

As Marcway don't appear to offer an email address so I might enquire directly, just as a matter of interest, what is the difference between TYPE P and TYPE T P4 SCALEWAY track?

David C

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Oct 04, 2023 7:39 pm

I think one is standard and the other gauge widened. When I spoke to them a few weeks ago they thought that 19.2mm was correct for GW!

Philip

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:04 pm

Interestingly, they also still sell phosphur bronze rail (either on its own or as part of the Scaleway track).

Useful for checkrails as it keeps a different colour and I had thought it was no longer available.
Mark Tatlow

David Catton

Postby David Catton » Wed Oct 04, 2023 8:09 pm

Thanks, Philip, as Marcway's shop is about 30 minutes from my home, I may pop in and find out next time I feel motivated to drive to Sheffield.

I'll even post my findings on here, if I remember!

David C

Winander

Postby Winander » Wed Oct 04, 2023 10:51 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:Interestingly, they also still sell phosphur bronze rail (either on its own or as part of the Scaleway track).

And both phosphor bronze and nickel silver track is cheaper than the stores @ £11.50 for 10 yards.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Thu Oct 05, 2023 6:48 am

Winander wrote:And both phosphor bronze and nickel silver rail is cheaper than the stores @ £11.50 for 10 yards.

Bear in mind that SMP/Marcway rail is or always was significantly under scale width and will be a very loose fit in fixed track gauges.

Has anyone measured their current stocks?

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:20 am

I have old Scaleway and the base has shrunk over 25 years! The rail being a bit under size doesn’t worry me as it looks a bit finer. Modern rail often looks too wide to me, maybe dies have worn. Anyway, a little bit of gauge widening on their standard track could be useful!

Philip

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:25 am

Philip Hall wrote:Modern rail often looks too wide to me, maybe dies have worn.

Hi Philip,

It's the correct width but the top corners are too sharp, which is why it looks wide. It would look a lot better with the proper 1/2" radius (7 thou scale) on the corners, and it would run better too.

check_rail_end.png

cheers,

Martin.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:37 am

Hi Martin,

Most of my ‘visible’ trackwork is laid with rail manufactured about 30 years ago, so has this better top profile, like Kingsway rail of old. It does run nicely.Trouble is I’m running out if it.

Philip

Return to “Track and Turnouts”