crossing baseboard joints

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
steve howe

crossing baseboard joints

Postby steve howe » Tue Aug 08, 2023 1:36 pm

Is there a recognised approach for cutting rails that cross baseboard joints at an angle? i.e on a curve?

Using a very fine razor saw or thinnest cutting disc, should you a) make a straight cut across both rails following the line of the joint which would give rails with slightly angled ends; or, b) cut each rail individually at right angles to the rail where it crosses the joint?

Never had this situation before so curious to know if there are any hard and fast rules!

Steve

John Donnelly
Web Team

Re: crossing baseboard joints

Postby John Donnelly » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:09 pm

I used a razor saw (for me it gives a much neater cut than a slitting disc) to cut in line with the board join so the rails are cut at an angle.

John

Rod Cameron

Postby Rod Cameron » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:21 pm

Before you lay the track, you could put a layer of thin card between the board ends so that the 'wastage' due to cutting with the razor saw is compensated for when you remove the card. And don't have the adjacent rail ends needing to be electrically isolated from each other in case the rails expand and touch.
Rod

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:43 pm

I think it was Peter Denny who said don't cross baseboard joints at an angle - or someone of that vintage.

Best avoided.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:40 pm

Tim V wrote:I think it was Peter Denny who said don't cross baseboard joints at an angle - or someone of that vintage.

Best avoided.

Good advice in theory...... :D

joint.jpg

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Tue Aug 08, 2023 4:35 pm

Hi Steve.
I certainly prefer to cut the rails at 90 degrees regardless of the angle of the track to the baseboard joint.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5707&start=550#p84139
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:32 pm

Hi Steve,

I thought my preference was for 90 degrees but it turned out I cut mine at an angle. Photos attached. I cut across with a razor saw and then cleaned up the rail ends with a substantial chamfer to the top and sides. It makes a lovely noise as the trains go over it! Rail is soldered to Kings Cross brass chairs and then to several layers of PCB. This is a 'non visible' part of the railway so robustness and strength scored over appearance. This joint is one of two on a 'lift out' section, which is removed almost every time access to the room is required. The gaps are a bit bigger in winter and a trifle tight in summer but even with the big gaps there is no problem.

It works very well, even at highly unprotoypical speeds. When taking the photos I tested it (just for fun) with two close coupled Bachmann Bulleid carriages fitted with turned down Bachmann wheels. At around 100mph they just glided across, so I think in your yard you should have no problem with anything coming off.

Philip

IMG-5605.jpg

IMG-5606.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:00 pm

Surely cutting at other than 90 degrees is just the equivalent of an expansion joint in CWR?

Ducks and runs from the theoretical puritan police ;)

Best
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:16 pm

Hi Steve,

Tony Wilkins wrote:I certainly prefer to cut the rails at 90 degrees regardless of the angle of the track to the baseboard joint.

:thumb :thumb :thumb

Tony has got this absolutely spot-on (in my opinion) based on my experience on the exhibition circuit with Mostyn.

Damage will happen and what you need is to be able to repair it quickly and accurately. If you cut the rail parallel to the board edge you will make it difficult to repair any damage without relaying across the board joint again (because of the challenge of replicating a subtle angled cut).

Cutting the rail at 90 degrees enables you to just lift one length of rail and replace it.

The most recent Mostyn 'crime scene' ....

IMG-20230128-WA0006.jpg

Cheers,

Richard

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:58 pm

I'll just throw in that no matter what orientation you make the joint, if rail is fixed at both ends of the board, don't forget to allow for expansion somewhere in between.

DaveB

Philip Hall

Postby Philip Hall » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:21 pm

davebradwell wrote:I'll just throw in that no matter what orientation you make the joint, if rail is fixed at both ends of the board, don't forget to allow for expansion somewhere in between.

DaveB

Agreed, very important. When the track was laid across the lift out section, which is about 4ft long, it was done in early spring, so fishplated expansion joints (as with the rest of the track elsewhere) of 0.75mm approx (1/32") at half metre intervals were incorporated. In the summer, the board itself and the track expand to a very tight fit, and last winter there were quite large gaps, not enough to cause trouble but delightful clickety-clicks as the trains passed over!

Philip

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:49 pm

Richard Oldfield wrote:
The most recent Mostyn 'crime scene' ....

IMG-20230128-WA0006.jpg

Cheers,

Richard

Ouch!
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Julian Roberts

Postby Julian Roberts » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:06 pm

Richard Oldfield wrote:
Damage will happen

Yes I agree, and it's such a bore, when it is surely easily preventable?

20230814_090853.jpg

Richard Oldfield

Postby Richard Oldfield » Mon Aug 14, 2023 3:33 pm

Hello Julian,

Julian Roberts wrote:
Richard Oldfield wrote:
Damage will happen

Yes I agree, and it's such a bore, when it is surely easily preventable?

Please do enlighten me, how will an end protector (Mostyn has very substantial 9mm ply ones spaced 3mm away from the board ends), easily prevent a sideways impact like the one shown in the image in my posting?

Puzzled, but willing to learn ....

Cheers,

Richard

Return to “Track and Turnouts”