Track - the book

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Paul Willis
Forum Team

Track - the book

Postby Paul Willis » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:48 am

Waiting for me when I returned home yesterday was the latest issue of the 2mm Association magazine. Apart from some inspiring modelling from our smaller scale finescale cousins, there was an update on their publication about track.

Or to give it the full title "Track - How it works and how to model it"

I bought a copy of the book when it was originally published a decade ago. It's now been updated, and the new edition is available from the 2mm Association.

It's described as having more information on prototype track, and on track building techniques. Whilst it obviously focuses on 2mm products and techniques, the prototype information and some of the techniques are very useful to P4 modelling. As ever (and the reason that I keep an Association membership) is that the 2mm boys and girls can sometimes have novel and effective solutions to modelling that we can use in our larger scale..

If you don't have a copy of the first edition of the book, I highly recommend it. Copies from the Association online shop here https://www.2mm.org.uk/products/nms/index.html

Best,
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

Hardwicke

Re: Track - the book

Postby Hardwicke » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:57 pm

Is it a decade now? I bought one and the less useful one by Andrew Dow, which seemed to be random articles from technical publications (or the NRM library), without truly coherent understanding. The 2mm book together with the MRSG, P4 and S4 articles in the 60's-80's are a good basis. Still no decent articles on Flat Bottomed or welded practices despite it being almost 100 years old in the UK. Same goes for colour light signalling (MAS).
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:58 pm

A copy of British Railway Track by the Permanent Way Institution is also a must.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Martin Wynne

Postby Martin Wynne » Sun Aug 06, 2023 5:39 pm

Hardwicke wrote:Still no decent articles on Flat Bottomed or welded practices

Hi,

Lots of flat-bottom info in these articles:

https://www.mmrs.co.uk/technical-articl ... anent-way/

Martin.
40+ years developing Templot. Enjoy using Templot? Join Templot Club. Be a Templot supporter.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:52 pm

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hardwicke wrote:Still no decent articles on Flat Bottomed or welded practices

Hi,

Lots of flat-bottom info in these articles:

https://www.mmrs.co.uk/technical-articl ... anent-way/

Martin.

Thanks Martin,
I'd forgotten those. I did read them a few years ago. I've some Colin Craig kits to build.
Michael

Return to “Track and Turnouts”