Track Deviation Detector

Discuss the prototype and how to model it.
Paul Townsend

Track Deviation Detector

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:33 pm

A have a device that is a detector wagon, it can be built for P4 or EM track and has a pair of levers that waggle about if the rails are not level.
The cunning design means it all fits within the loading gauge.
There are painted stripes on a scale that show good, iffy or bad. It has proved very useful at Highbridge especially after the house move and enforced rebuild.

The etched kit was bought years ago and is marked as Track Deviation Detecor of P4 and EM copyright Mac 2017.
I have no recollection of where I bought this.

Here it is indicating "iffy".

Track deviation detecor wagon.jpg

I have some track troubles on Dartmouth and so want to build another on for 28mm gauge.
My preferred route is to acquire another kit and modify it.

There was an earlier design for a scratchbuild job which I don't fancy as it used tall levers which would make it unwieldy and way out of gauge height wise.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

40C

Re: Track Deviation Detector

Postby 40C » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:43 pm

Masokits

Steve Carter

Postby Steve Carter » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:48 pm

40C wrote:Masokits

11.15 Track Defect Detection Vehicle: Suitable for P4 and EM ONLY:
It detects deviations and steps in the track and can be either propelled or pulled by a loco (or shoved about by
hand). A calibration scale is included. Only the flat etch is provided. Wheels, bearings, piano wire and brass rod
and tube being required to complete. Please note that perfectly round and parallel wheels are essential otherwise
this will be a wobbly wheel detector.
£10.00
Steve Carter

Paul Townsend

Postby Paul Townsend » Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:33 pm

Thankyou both

andrewnummelin

Postby andrewnummelin » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:11 am

Paul Townsend wrote:...
There was an earlier design for a scratchbuild job which I don't fancy as it used tall levers which would make it unwieldy and way out of gauge height wise.

You may have been thinking of Dave Reynolds track defect detector (unfortunately my scan of the article does not include the details of the publication).
Capture2.JPG

There was also Don Rowlands' diplometer in Model Railways February 1976 page 83.
Capture.JPG

This shows cant and gradients rather than defects.

My own test items also include a Masokits one (it is very sensitive, highly recommended) and one for electrical supply (MERG pocket money kit connected to a split axle with solid metal wheels - one LED lights with DC and both with AC). They were brought into use when I fitted facing point locking bars to the club layout - irregular running of locos was shown not to be a bar within a check rail being too high but virtually indetectable bits of superglue that had strayed onto the rail surface.
DSC05083.JPG

I guess this could be made more sophisticated to be able to show which wheel fails to pick up rather than a simple lack of current collection.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Andrew Nummelin

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:04 am

andrewnummelin wrote:You may have been thinking of Dave Reynolds track defect detector (unfortunately my scan of the article does not include the details of the publication).

MRJ 57 page 230. There is another version by Don Rowland, in S4 News 142 page 14.
Regards
Noel

martin goodall

Postby martin goodall » Mon Jul 03, 2023 11:36 am

Yes, Paul's 'machine' was built from the kit produced by Mike Clark (Masokits).

I have one of these, but I have never really got on with it, and it has been languishing in a drawer under the layout for many a long year.

I have noticed recently that a few rail joints have gone out of alignment on the layout, but this was obvious from the behaviour of vehicles running over these spots and so they were easily identified.
When I get 'a round tuit', I must fire up the soldering iron and make the necessary adjustments.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:09 pm

Now somewhere I've a version of Don Rowlands' diplometer
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Return to “Track and Turnouts”