Installing / mounting signals to the baseboard

Discussions of the prototypes and how to model them. Show us how you do it.
Simon Hartshorne

Installing / mounting signals to the baseboard

Postby Simon Hartshorne » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:57 pm

Hello

I’m almost at the stage where I want to install signals to my layout. For various reasons they probably need to be removable from above the baseboard. Prototypically the signal posts in the area modelled where “buried” in ballast and I wonder how I can combine this effect with the need to remove them - obviously without having a visible break in the ballast medium which would become increasingly visible with each removal.

All suggestions gratefully received, photos of “how you did it” even better.

Thanks in advance.

Tim V

Re: Installing / mounting signals to the baseboard

Postby Tim V » Fri Dec 30, 2022 6:12 pm

Here's how I did it on Clutton, signals 'plugged' into the layout, with motor underneath (motor for two arms shown). Note the weights to provide the 'bounce'.
2007 Progress (42).JPG

2007 Progress (41).JPG

2007 Progress (50).JPG

2007 Progress (49).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

Will L

Postby Will L » Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:02 pm

We used to keep a jar of loose basalt which included powder paints so it roughly matched the colour of the ballast that had been laid stuck down and weathered. A very close match isn't critical. We used this to patch the ballast where the tracks crossed between boards which it did very successfully. You could use the same trick it to ensure any damage around your removable signals is hidden. It all falls off when you take the layout down again of course but a small coffee jar full lasted our 15 year run on the exhibition circuit. Sorry no photos, too long ago.

Simon Hartshorne

Postby Simon Hartshorne » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:41 am

Thanks both, very helpful.

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:31 am

I think that Will's trick with ballast "top-up" is quite common, we certainly did it on Bembridge fifty years ago. Today, I use another small jar of "grass" flock fibres to do the same with stretches of "grass" which cross board joints, they weren't available fifty years ago although flocked paper was, which we used.

Return to “Signals and Control Systems”