P4 help wanted

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Dylan Sanderson

P4 help wanted

Postby Dylan Sanderson » Sat Dec 09, 2023 3:33 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm a new Scalefour Society member having signed up at Warley. I've been dabbing in EM since Summer this year after ripping up my OO Layout, and am now considering graduating for the second time to P4. I model 1917 North Eastern Railway, so my thinking is if I've got to build all of my stock and track, why not go the extra .8 of a mm and do it 'proper' on my 36x2ft model of Yarm that's currently in the planning phase with half the baseboards built.

I was wondering if there is anyone here who would be able to help me building compensated/sprung chassis and potentially MiT style locos? I really struggle to learn by reading instructions, so would appreciate it if there's anyone willing to sit down with me and show me the ropes! I know the basics about soldering, building 25+ White Metal wagons and a handful of D&S brass coach kits.

I'm from Doncaster, but am willing to travel.

Many thanks,

Dylan
Dylan

petermeyer

Re: P4 help wanted

Postby petermeyer » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:48 pm

You might want to join in the virtual area group for live advice.

Jeremy Suter

Postby Jeremy Suter » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:27 pm

Hi Dylan
You are welcome to come here with one of your chassis and I could guide you through building it ( I'm in Middlewich near Crewe Cheshire)
Or perhaps it could be done using the society Zoom account and build one for you I can set up a couple of Cameras to watch. That could be open to others as well.
Tips and tricks in machine tool practice viewtopic.php?f=132&t=6350

kelly

Postby kelly » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:45 pm

Jeremy Suter wrote:Hi Dylan
You are welcome to come here with one of your chassis and I could guide you through building it ( I'm in Middlewich near Crewe Cheshire)
Or perhaps it could be done using the society Zoom account and build one for you I can set up a couple of Cameras to watch. That could be open to others as well.

That could be a rather useful resource generally for the Society.

Is there an area group near Dylan that might be able to help him?
DEMU UPDate Editor
DEMU
Photos on Flickr

grovenor-2685
Forum Team

Postby grovenor-2685 » Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:11 pm

For area groups see https://www.scalefour.org/areagroups/
There are 3 in Yorkshire.
Regards
Keith
Grovenor Sidings

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:57 am

Could this be filmed and shared, Jeremy. I'm sure lots of us would be interested in watching and learning.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Dylan Sanderson

Postby Dylan Sanderson » Sun Dec 10, 2023 7:30 pm

Hi Jeremy, many thanks for the kind offer! I'll send you a message
Dylan

Paul Willis
Forum Team

Postby Paul Willis » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:03 pm

Dylan Sanderson wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm a new Scalefour Society member having signed up at Warley. I've been dabbing in EM since Summer this year after ripping up my OO Layout, and am now considering graduating for the second time to P4. I model 1917 North Eastern Railway, so my thinking is if I've got to build all of my stock and track, why not go the extra .8 of a mm and do it 'proper' on my 36x2ft model of Yarm that's currently in the planning phase with half the baseboards built.

Hi Dylan,

I was on the Society Stand at Warley, so may well have spoken with you at some point. If I didn't, I'm sure that you'd have spoken with Steve Carter, our wonderful Membership Secretary. Either way, welcome!

I see that you've already received some great offers of help. I can't do better than this. I just wanted to mention that more years ago than I care to remember, I made exactly that decision and transitioned from six months of scratchbuilding in EM to P4. It's something that in no way I regret, and I've had much enjoyment from the much more (IMHO) realistic appearance ever since. Just like then, I'm still building in the Edwardian era - currently Great Eastern Railway around 1911 - and there still isn't much RTR to help ;-)

I hope that you enjoy the transition, and never be afraid to ask here. We were all in your very same shoes once...

Best,
Paul
Beware of Trains - occasional modelling in progress!
www.5522models.co.uk

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Tue Dec 12, 2023 11:30 am

Put the EM Wakefield August show in your diary - plenty of NER modellers therefrom far and wide and I might be able to sell you a tender by then.

DaveB

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:43 am

Hi Dylan

Welcome to the Society!

In addition to the suggestions already given, might I suggest you going on a Missenden Railway Modellers weekend. www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk

These are weekend retreats at a country hotel type venue for a couple of nights* where like minded people gather to both find a bit of quality modelling time and to have the support of both skilled tutors and other modellers. The weekends cover a variety of topics but chassis building is always one of these.

You might also find it easiest to start with one of the quality chassis kits for a relatively simple loco as they take some of the working out away from chassis building. Perhaps start with a J72 chassis from either Mousa Models or High Level?

* PS Missenden does also have a week retreat in the summer for the hardcore!
Mark Tatlow

Enigma

Postby Enigma » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:52 pm

West Yorkshire Group meet at Wakefield clubrooms monthly on a Tuesday evening (next one on the 19th next week) and at Badsworth Village Hall on Saturdays. Contact Steve Hall for more details.

Winander

Postby Winander » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:20 pm

Enigma wrote:Contact Steve Hall for more details

From here you can message him https://www.scalefour.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=886
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Major Clanger

Postby Major Clanger » Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:40 pm

Enigma wrote:West Yorkshire Group meet at Wakefield clubrooms monthly on a Tuesday evening (next one on the 19th next week) and at Badsworth Village Hall on Saturdays. Contact Steve Hall for more details.

And we'll all be at Scalefour Pontefract on 27/28 January where I'm sure at least one of us will be able to answer any questions you have.

Return to “Starting in P4”