A roundabout route to finescale...

Help and advice for those starting in, or converting to P4 standards. A place to share modelling as a beginner in P4.
Worzels Works

A roundabout route to finescale...

Postby Worzels Works » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:16 pm

Good afternoon all,

Thought it was about time I took the plunge and joined the society... and the forum... and the local club too (thanks Steve, I'll send the paperwork back to you soon I promise) so, how did I get here?

I've been 'seriously' modelling for not that long if I am honest, a recent graduation to mature modelling about 6 years ago with a still unfinished Narrow Gauge layout that has taken plenty of time gestating (isn't life wonderful) and is growing into something I am quite proud of with a growing back story. As usual it spawned from wanting a chocolate box GWR branch line terminus, then I discovered there were more railways than just God's Wonderful one (shock horror!) before settling my interests down on the former Plymouth, Devonport and South Western Junction Railway and subsequent LSWR. This is where standard gauge comes back into the picture, as my 'dream layout' would be a scale representation of Bere Alston station, this is the junction of the Callington branch line, but with a twist. I am in the process of writing up a revised history of the Callington branch to re write it as a narrow gauge line with an extension north to join the North Cornwall Railway at Egloskerry (there were surveyed plans to extend beyond Callington but not quite that far), more on that later but the intention is to produce the models of the narrow gauge equipment as fine scale 009, and recently I have been thinking, why not go for fine scale standard gauge too?

So since I'm going to have to scratch build my own track and chassis for the narrow gauge, it's a sensible option to start where the major support is, here! I've got some legacy hand me down hornby/bachmann/mainline 00 scale and since discovering that the incredible Watermouth is only a few miles from home in Cornwall then a spate of RTR conversions seems to me like a perfectly fine way to start a fine scale adventure.

This will be a slow burn for me as I'm working out of the country for a few months still. My opening salvo for P4 I'll keep simple, and start up a layout thread in the coming weeks but while I scour the forum for details of loco, coach and wagon conversions alongside track building techniques here is a start to say hello, and I'm already looking forward to testing the water with P4.

Cheers,
James
Yours aye,
James

Jeremy Good

Re: A roundabout route to finescale...

Postby Jeremy Good » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:26 pm

Welcome James.

I'm sure you'll find the Forum helpful with many of the conversions you are planning but if there isn't any specific info on here, just ask. There is almost certainly someone on the Forum who will have done a similar conversion or come across similar problems in getting things going.

I look forward to seeing your layout thread in due course and hopefully seeing you in person at one of our shows.

In then meantime, enjoy the modelling journey.

Jeremy

nigelcliffe

Postby nigelcliffe » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:27 pm

I'd suggest for your finescale 009 mechanisms that you might want to look at the 2mm Scale Association - there are parts and experience making things which are small enough for the size of locos you are describing. I know of modellers working to 8mm gauge (2ft in 4mm scale) with 2mm SA components.

( declares interest as long term 2mm SA member, one time chairman, maker of some parts for the 2mm shops, and webmaster for as long as I can remember ).

- Nigel

Worzels Works

Postby Worzels Works » Tue Jun 20, 2023 4:36 pm

thanks for the kind works Jeremy and Nigel,

Certainly seems like most questions can be answered with a good search on here and as you say picking up on the friendly advice.

With regards to 2mm and 2FS I am very close to joining that society too, as well as the 3mm SA to rob some of their parts! the plan for the NG will certainly be using 2mm SA track building parts, as having been introduced to some of it previously my immediate reaction was 'that looks like Penrhyn mainline track!' :D (I am undecided if my re write of history goes to 2'3" or 2'6", the former would still allow the much enjoyable away days and visiting engines that seem to make 009 very sociable)

Cheers,
James
Yours aye,
James

Return to “Starting in P4”