Conversion of the EFE Raworth 'Booster' loco

Re6/6

Conversion of the EFE Raworth 'Booster' loco

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 5:56 pm

20002 EFE 4.jpg

I've successfully converted mine to P4. It was the quickest and easiest conversion that I've ever done once I'd got the bogie frames off without damage. At one point I was fearing that one or more of the six retaining clips might get broken, but gentle wiggling around with a small screwdriver under the clips and then 'ping', off they came.

I used a P4 set of Accurascale Cl 37 axles which were surplus to my requirements. They might be about 0.5mm too small in diameter, but I'm not at all bothered about such small discrepancies. (worn tyres perhaps!?) The Accurascale bearings and gears were slid off and the EFE ones slid onto the P4 axles, the p/b pickups were slightly bent out and the wheelsets dropped and the underframe clicked back in place. The Accurascale sets are available from their stock thus saving the usual wait from Ultrascale and there is a saving.

The bogies are a superb bit of design and grateful thanks to Graham 'Muz' Muspratt for engineering-in the necessary space between the frames for those of us who model with track to 'the wider persuasion'. 8-)

20240124_135534 - Copy.jpg

20240124_135528 - Copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

Re6/6

Re: Conversion of the EFE Raworth 'Booster' loco

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:30 pm

We have another of these most welcome additions to the 'Balcombe'/' Ouse Valley Viaduct' layout stock, a green one this time. Both of them will be mostly used on the Newhaven boat trains in different eras.

We also have a nearly completed model of 20003, the third and final one of three Raworth engines which were also known as 'Hornbys' by their drivers.

it's mostly scratchbuilt and again it will be used on Newhaven boats and also fast freights.

20240124_192015.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Wed Jan 24, 2024 7:58 pm

Thanks for posting that solution to P4 conversion.
I have the Southern green one to do.
Just ordered a set of Accurascale wheels!

How are your CIT/PAN/PUL emus getting on?

Cheers Steve

Re6/6

Postby Re6/6 » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:31 pm

CornCrake wrote:Thanks for posting that solution to P4 conversion.
I have the Southern green one to do.
Just ordered a set of Accurascale wheels!

How are your CIT/PAN/PUL emus getting on?

Cheers Steve

There's progress with the 6PAN inasmuch as one of our Balcombe members is building it for me! Brian is a superb coach builder and another member Nick is building all the bogies using Bill Bedford frames.
John

shipbadger

Postby shipbadger » Wed Feb 07, 2024 4:58 pm

Having now converterted my model 'Booster' loco a few additional comments.

First beware of the sand pipes, I've already lost one, I know not where. They are plastic and nicely moulded but don't look the easiest to repace with just a piece of wire.

Gibson does 3' 6" Bulleid bogie/tender wheels. I can live with the missing inch.

Removing the six clips holding the bogie outer frame in place was straightforward if a little fiddly. I have a dental tool which looks as if it was intended for torturing patients but it does get in behind the clips. One of the total of twelve clips decided to shear off rather than move over the fixing. It's absence hasn't created any problems.

Five of my six pairs of wheels came with what looked like ground steel axles. On all of them the central gear was a loose fit. The old technique of knurling the centre of the axle with the edge of a file produced enough deformation to enable them to grip. The sixth axle had a blackened finish and didn't need such treatment. I always inspect the back of wheels for moulding pips etc. I was caught out this time by the one with swarf on the edge of the tyre. Only just visible to casual inspection and easily removed, I can understand how it was missed.

The pickups are easier to adjust before putting the outer bogie frame back on. One or two required vertical as well as horizontal adjustment.

The DCC chip is in and it still runs nicely. Now to work out how to fit the AJ couplings

Tony Comber

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”