New Bachmann Class 24 P4 conversion

Daddyman

Re: New Bachmann Class 24 P4 conversion

Postby Daddyman » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:50 pm

David Thorpe wrote:Thanks David, I'm quite touched that you should lie awake at night thinking about my problems!

Oh, it made a nice change from worrying if I had enough class 37s...

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:17 pm

Porcy Mane wrote:Probably muddies the water but might be some help. It's a bogie from D5061 undergoing testing at Crewe in 1960. The photograph is one a a large series, commissioned by the Mech. & Elec. Engineers Dept. and distributed to the railway press of the day by the Public Relations Office for LM Region.
P

Cor! The final drive gears on each axle are of different diameters, now I really want to know why!

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:08 pm

Porcy Mane wrote:
Daddyman wrote:However, I notice that the 24s seem to have brake rigging top and bottom (or is one a sander linkage?)

BogieTests12-Crewe-M&Edept-LMRpro.jpg

Probably muddies the water but might be some help. It's a bogie from D5061 undergoing testing at Crewe in 1960. The photograph is one a a large series, commissioned by the Mech. & Elec. Engineers Dept. and distributed to the railway press of the day by the Public Relations Office for LM Region.

P

The Sulzer bogie was based on the LMS Merseyside EMU's and 10000.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Tony Wilkins

Postby Tony Wilkins » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:44 pm

zebedeesknees wrote:
Porcy Mane wrote:Probably muddies the water but might be some help. It's a bogie from D5061 undergoing testing at Crewe in 1960. The photograph is one a a large series, commissioned by the Mech. & Elec. Engineers Dept. and distributed to the railway press of the day by the Public Relations Office for LM Region.
P

Cor! The final drive gears on each axle are of different diameters, now I really want to know why!

Ted.

Hi Ted.
I see what you mean, but I think that is an optical illusion caused by the fact that the nearer axle is mostly hidden from view.
Regards
Tony.
Inspiration from the past. Dreams for the future.

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:10 pm

zebedeesknees wrote:

Ted.

I think it's simply a case of "small = far away". Other photographs of the bogie in the series appear to show the outer circumference of the final drive gears both being the same distance from the apex of the wheel flange.

P

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:09 pm

Just thought that you might likle to know that once the plastic bogie frames were off the rest was no problem at all. Bachmann wheels out, gear removed and put on Gibson axles, Gibson wheels put on, one wedge filed off each of the metal bogie bases, wheels put in position, and bogie frames replaced (much easier with the wedge removed) and screwed in place. And it all runs fine, though if Penbits did a springing system for the post-2020 class 24 I might be tempted.

Again, thanks everyone for your help.

DT

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”