Class 08 Depot allocations

ChrisO

Class 08 Depot allocations

Postby ChrisO » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:11 pm

I'm a new member & this is my first post: Can anyone help with the wheres and whens of Class 08 allocations in the 1970's, specifically around the Runcorn/Widnes/St.Helens area. I've managed to find the Springs Branch list from the DerbySulzers site, but that mentions that 08s where still allocated to individual depots.Where there any depots still open around those areas at that time? (I know the Sutton Oak shed was shut by then), if so does anyone know where they were? Sorry, seems a lot to ask!!!
Thanks everyone
Chris

BryanJohnson

Re: Class 08 Depot allocations

Postby BryanJohnson » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:28 pm

For information on shed closing dates, go to http://www.steamsheds.co.uk/sheds.php. Note that the Closed date is the date closed to steam - any subsequent use should be identified in the Notes section.

Looking at my 1971 Locoshed book, 08's were allocated to specific sheds, whilst main line locos were more likely to be allocated to divisions.

The only sheds listed for that area are 5A Crewe Diesel, 8F Springs Branch, 8H Birkenhead and 8J Allerton. I don't know which would supply shunting locos to your specific area. If it would help, I can scan the relevant pages for you.

Bryan

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:17 pm

What you want to look at is Shunter Duties.
Booklet from the 1970's
I have my 1975 Locoshed handy.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

ChrisO

Postby ChrisO » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:23 pm

Thanks, I've managed to obtain copies of the ABC Locosheds for 1975 & 1978, and have found a Shunter Duties for sale from Nene Valley books.
Again, tahnks for your help.
Chris

Return to “Diesel and Electric Locomotives”