Bachman RTR conversions

Tim V

Bachman RTR conversions

Postby Tim V » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:24 pm

Here is a picture I posted on P4talk in response to a request about remotoring Bachman locos.
IMG_1939.JPG

A standard Mashima motor, with a turned brass bush, utilising the original motor mount and the worm which had been pressed off the original motor with a George Watts worm puller. Blue tac is used to stop the motor turning in the mount, but plays no part (other than that) in holding the motor in.

Ultrascale conversion pack by the way :!:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V
(Not all railways in Somerset went to Dorset)

jsherratt

Re: Bachman RTR conversions

Postby jsherratt » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:24 pm

That's interesting, Tim. Can I ask what size the Mashima motor is exactly?

And how would you say the running compares with the standard Bachmann motor?

I have converted two Bachmann Panniers with Ultrascale wheels and they both seem to run quite well - though one of them does seem to run faster than the other.

John

Dave K

Postby Dave K » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:19 am

Tim,

I seem to remember something in a past edition of Snooze about re-motoring a Bachman loco using a Branchlines motor and worm, with a piece of placticcard and tape to stop the motor moving.

Are you using the same motor and did you have remove a shaft from one end :?:

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:26 pm

Sorry for delay, been on holidays!

John It's a 14:20 can, the 14:24 would not fit. Note that the Bachman pannier has been fitted with two different motors, you can tell them apart by the different worms. This shows the older worm, the later worm is plastic. Running was a considerable improvement over the original motor, a more recent pannier with the later motor has not been remotored, as running was satisfactory (for an RTR conversion).

Dave I don't remember that article, but I did cut the shaft off at one end. It uses the original motor mount and the bushes at each end of the motor to hold it in.
Tim V

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:43 am

Serves me right for going by memory, here is a picture of the later pannier chassis, with original motor, with a brass worm:!: but a different pitch.
IMG_2067.JPG

Behind is the other chassis.
IMG_2068.JPG

Both have Ultrascale conversion sets.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim V

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Fri May 01, 2009 8:27 pm

103_0001.JPG

I must say Tim that my Bachmann 8750 with an Ultrascale conversion pack runs like a dream. I would go as far as to say that it runs far more smoothly with the P4 wheels over the 00. The real test will be when Tim Madocks (Captain K!) brings his 8750, with Perserverance Chassis, to DRAG; it will be interesting to see which one is best. (Granted my money is on Tim's loco!, but it will be interesting to see)

Nick

Tim V

Postby Tim V » Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 pm

If yours is better than CK's, then I would be surprised. The Bachman locos run well, but not that well. I find their running a bit "solid", compared with my usual ones, but then they only took an hour or so to convert and tweak.
Tim V

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Sat May 02, 2009 11:33 am

Tim V wrote:If yours is better than CK's, then I would be surprised. The Bachman locos run well, but not that well. I find their running a bit "solid", compared with my usual ones, but then they only took an hour or so to convert and tweak.

We will have to do a head-to-head comparison to see which one is best, but I do agree completely about the "solid" running. This one had a lot of running in before being converted, very little layout running, but a lot of running in. The Bachmann 45xx and 55xx locos don't seem to take to being converted to P4 quite as well as the 8570, but then Graham was using Gibson wheels, not Ultrascale, so it wasn't entirely a fair test. ;)

Nick

Captain Kernow

Postby Captain Kernow » Wed May 06, 2009 11:32 am

Nick - my current P4 pannier is actually a 57XX (numbered 8701) rather than an '8750'.

Time to think about weathering your chassis, I think, Nick!

I'll be doing a Bachmann 8750 as well in due course, interested in Tim V's re-motoring comments (something I'd like to do for a couple of my Heljan diesels).

I do already run a Bachmann 8750 as part of my 'OO' fleet for 'Engine Wood' and 'Bleakhouse Road' and it's not bad at all, OK for slow speed shunting etc., although admittedly not as good as my OO Perseverence chassied/Mashima motored 57XX.

Tim M
Tim M
Member of the Devon Riviera Area Group.

Brinkly

Postby Brinkly » Sun May 24, 2009 5:02 pm

Captain Kernow wrote:Nick - my current P4 pannier is actually a 57XX (numbered 8701) rather than an '8750'.

Oh very sorry!

Captain Kernow wrote:Time to think about weathering your chassis, I think, Nick!

Well now the weather is nice and dry!

Return to “Steam Locomotives”