LMS Steam at the end of the LMS era

Philbax

LMS Steam at the end of the LMS era

Postby Philbax » Thu May 19, 2011 3:21 pm

Having found out how to post pictures I have attached a couple of my Scot models as a test.

I may need to redo them if the quality is naf

Philbax
6103 first Scot rebuild -brassmasters - ultrascale & gibson wheels.jpg
6103 first Scot rebuild -brassmasters - ultrascale & gibson wheels.jpg

Next up is the present model under construction
Brassmasters Class 5 with Bill Bedford's stephenson valve gear, not one for the faint hearted
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DougN

Re: LMS Steam at the end of the LMS era

Postby DougN » Fri May 20, 2011 10:33 am

Phil,

Looking very nice there. Photos have come out well. the heavy weathering is intersting on the Upper Scot.
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Fri May 20, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks
6103 is sprayed mat black and then the weathering is all done with powders, brown and black to varying degrees. Converted in 1943 it would have received little in the wat of TLC during the war

6115 is hardly weathered at all as this one was rebuilt in 1947 so would be almost as good as new for my period
Phil

David Thorpe

Postby David Thorpe » Fri May 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Beautifully constructed locos - I wouldn't even know where to begin with that valve gear! Not wishing to be picky, especially as I'm still putting off painting any of my locos, but on my monitor at least 6103 looks very grey!

DT

craig_whilding

Postby craig_whilding » Fri May 20, 2011 8:11 pm

DaveyTee wrote: Not wishing to be picky, especially as I'm still putting off painting any of my locos, but on my monitor at least 6103 looks very grey!
DT

I think that might be the effect of camera flash.

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:05 am

Philbax wrote:.....Brassmasters Class 5 with Bill Bedford's stephenson valve gear, not one for the faint hearted

*hollow laughter* at this point. Presumably your valve gear fret was in nickel-silver. Mine was rendered in brass!

The individual parts do make sense if you have a photo of the real thing to hand. A photo-journal describing assembly would help, though.....
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Andy W

Postby Andy W » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:48 am

Make Worcestershire great again.
Build a wall along the Herefordshire border and make them pay for it.

Philbax

Postby Philbax » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:37 pm

Hi Horstan
Yep, mine is in brass too. I think it would be better looking in nickle & also stronger.
Have you started to build yours? I ended buying 2 sets and also using bits from the scrap box to get forked joints etc.
Obviously in P4 there is very very little room for this valve gear and it still requires some fine adjustment to run freely without catching on the con rod.
An exploded view would have been useful with the etch.

Ealing thanks, I trawled the net for information and found numberous photos which helped

Re Gray Scot, it is matt black, and a bit washed out in the photo I think due to being taken indoors with flas.

When I can I will redo it out doors

Thanks for the comments guys

Horsetan

Postby Horsetan » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:41 am

Philbax wrote:Hi Horstan
Yep, mine is in brass too. I think it would be better looking in nickle & also stronger.
Have you started to build yours?

Yes, ages ago. Have used the Comet chassis for the Ivatt-modified Black 5s, with the 7' x 8'4" wheelbase. (I take it you modified your Brassmasters chassis to the longer wheelbase?) Had problems with the cylinder centres, as the original Comet pack had them at "OO" width, which meant having to split the stretcher. Subsequently they produced a cylinder pack which is P4-compatible.

I built it with all driving axles independently-sprung, using the Dave Bradwell units produced for the Society. Not sure how I should do the bogie.

Build is currently stalled due to other factors, but in about 2002 Alan Gibson kindly supplied his Black 5 kit as a "body only" pack, and I did get as far as building the footplate. Tender is Brassmasters - when you've put this much effort into the engine, a Brassmasters tender is probably the only way to set the whole thing off!

I ended buying 2 sets and also using bits from the scrap box to get forked joints etc.

There is some allowance in the Bedford fret for forked joints.

Spare fret not an option for me, as the valve gear fret is now listed by Eileen's Emporium (as are all of the valve gear and other etches such as the sprung coach bogies, wagon springing and brake detail etches), and they only produce a batch when there's sufficient demand. Out of stock now, I think.

Obviously in P4 there is very very little room for this valve gear and it still requires some fine adjustment to run freely without catching on the con rod.
An exploded view would have been useful with the etch.

I will look at doing a "how-to" photo-journal, when I finally pluck up the courage.
That would be an ecumenical matter.

jsherratt

Postby jsherratt » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:59 am

I've come on to this thread a bit late, but I'm very interested to see it. I've always liked 4767, and I see it is due to visit the Churnet Valley Railway over the winter, which is quite close to me. This gives the opportunity to study the fascinating valve gear again at close quarters. I too have a set of Bill Bedford's etch for the valve gear for 4767 in my "one day" box, ready for when I pluck up enough courage to have a crack at it. Hmm.....

John

Return to “Steam Locomotives”