Building a Robinson 4-6-0

John Bateson

Re: Building a Robinson 4-6-0

Postby John Bateson » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks to all who saw and commented on the Great Central Class 8 which was on the Society Stand.
I hope I managed to answer most of the questions as fully as I could, but I am aware of one case where I may have not done so. During the lunch period I had a long chat with a gentleman who makes these locomotives in Gauge 1, saw some brilliant pictures of the finished models and was made aware that some of the definitive histories may be deficient.
I didn't know for example that when first built there were two whistles, something not covered in anything I have found so far. The construction notes will be amended with some caveats about a number of things discussed but as with all models where the documentation is sparse, not to say spurious, pictures of the locomotives in real life must be the final word.

Now I have to start packing boxes ...

And I did hear that someone else may be producing a GCR fish van, now that would be really, really interesting!

John
Slaving away still on GCR stuff ...

DougN

Postby DougN » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:46 am

John, wasn't there one on Bill Bedford's table? He has done a number of the GCR vans when I was talking to him.I guess the issue may be how many you need!
Doug
Still not doing enough modelling

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:57 am

Doug,
There may well have been one there. I was rather struck with the 3D modelling parts on his stand, but I understand we will have to wait for his new catalogue to get the details.
If Bill does make one, then it will save me a task. Last Thursday I had the opportunity to see some models of fish vans just north of Sheffield and very nice 20 of these would look too behind the Class 8
John

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:53 am

So the kits are almost ready, just a few castings to sort out.
There is something quite therapeutic about doing lots of identical parts on the lathe such as the sand box tops but I was rather glad to run out of the right sized bar for turning 120 Oil Box Caps yesterday although I managed to complete enough for the 10 kits I am producing.

Just to get these to market I am producing some of the 'furniture' on the lathe rather than wait for castings, all takes time and still learning the best way to produce the bits en masse.

I do find the discipline of producing things like 'packing lists' a relaxation which suits my ex-civil servant (fringe) mentality though.

John

iak

Postby iak » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:14 am

Anticipation rises 8-)
Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Perfection is impossible.
But I may choose to serve perfection....
Robert Fripp

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PadgateWorks/

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:50 am

Delivery is getting closer, the lady downstairs is busy packing stuff up but there is still a delay on suitable chimneys (soon!).
The kits will be delivered in "Really Useful Boxes" as shown.
Class 8 Box.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:54 am

Delighted to report that the first kit of the Robinson GCR Class 8 is now on the way south, almost to the end of the London Extension in fact - subject to later delivery of the few castings that need some extra work.
John

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:51 pm

I find that I have all but exhausted the initial run of 20 GCR 4000G tenders, but not to worry, more are on the way, and a batch of etches for the chassis arrived this morning just before I started to shout at the producers.
The lady downstairs is going to be busy again ...
As with the Class 8 locomotive, the revised etches include additional parts for those that disappear into the carpet and a couple of practice parts such as the flares for the top of the tenders. There is also a separate chassis etch for those of the EM tendency which should make life a little easier.
And all variations of the tender coal retaining side plates are now catered for, the original kit had only the solid side plates.
John

iak

Postby iak » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:31 pm

John Bateson wrote:Delivery is getting closer, the lady downstairs is busy packing stuff up but there is still a delay on suitable chimneys (soon!).
The kits will be delivered in "Really Useful Boxes" as shown.
Class 8 Box.JPG

Having just got my "Fish Engine," this is a fantastic way of sending them out John.
Well packed and good info contained there in.
Excellent stuff - bravo 8-)
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:26 am

Delivery of the few remaining parts of the Class 8 is slightly delayed beyond expectations because of manufacturing problems but here is a picture of the backheads (model and original) for interest.
I am now expecting the remaining parts in about 2 weeks time (centre axle springs and bogie axle boxes, the GC whistles are now in stock.
Backhead Cropped.jpg
Backheads Class 8.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

iak

Postby iak » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:51 pm

When they are here, they are here John 8-)
enemy of truth....
Albert Einstein

Robert Fripp

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:38 pm

And indeed they are here so the Lady Downstairs is going to be busy...

The parts supplier has pulled out all the stops for me (so how do I say 'thanks very much' in Dutch?) :?: .
I am including in the packages that will probably leave here sometime Friday a small etch of replacement cab and tender steps to replace/supplement those that are on the loco etches.

At almost the same time the new Version 2 tender etches arrived so after I return from visiting aged parent in Doncaster its going to be a busy week.

John

dcockling

Postby dcockling » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:04 pm

John Bateson wrote:The parts supplier has pulled out all the stops for me (so how do I say 'thanks very much' in Dutch?) :?: .

Dank u wel

Tot ziens John!

John Bateson

Postby John Bateson » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:39 am

At a recent area group meeting I was asked a couple of questions about the new etches for the second version of the tender, so will try to answer them here for members who have bought the tender and loco kits.

First - it is common practice that where a half etch part (possibly with rivets) is to be overlaid on a full thickness part to lock the two parts together with assorted tags so that a simple 180 degree outside fold will make an accurate assembly. I have never found this to be very accurate, possibly because the fold lines were too wide.
However, in the case of the etches for the loco and tender for the GCR classes, I rely on slots in the full thickness etch to locate the frames accurately. Pre-assembling the two parts (mainly the buffer beams) usually fills the slots so that the frames cannot be accurately located. Using a liquid solder such as Nealetin it is simple then to add the overlays since I use 0.3 mm brass wire to locate them accurately.

Second - the flares on the tender will always be problematic. Both versions are slightly wider than needed, the second version is a little bit wider than really needed so that after assembly and before the beading is added, they can be gently filed back.
Forming the curve may be an issue. I use 2 mm rod and a steel rule in a vice. Lay a length of masking tape along the rod and then locate the half etch flare into the join so that it is straight. Fit in an accurate vice (use aluminium angle to form a sharp edge if needed - my old vice is rather worn) so that the rod and brass are firmly trapped and the use the steel rule to form the curve.
It is an option to gently anneal the brass first but forming the curve hardens it again.
I do not pre-etch the ends to make the correct shape, it is tricky enough fitting the formed flares to the tender sides at the right depth anyway without worrying about the logitudinal fit as well. Here, masking tape again comes into its own to hold the parts in place. Since the expansion of the half etch should be taken into account it is best to do a tack in the middle and then at the ends to begin with.
Once these sides are secure, they are quite firm and the outlines at the front and rear can be gently formed with a fine file.
On the second version of the tender there are 'practice parts' for the flares just to check out the process.

John

Return to “Steam Locomotives”