Mars 4 Max resin-printer

Guy Rixon

Mars 4 Max resin-printer

Postby Guy Rixon » Sun Oct 01, 2023 3:32 pm

Some years ago I got a resin printer, an Ellegoo Mars 2, and a long queue of things to print on it. Then the printer died, and I had neither the money for a new one nor the time to try and fix it with components of dubious provenance and suitability. I just abandoned the whole hobby for a while. More recently, my dear wife has bought me a new printer as a present for a significant birthday and I'm back in the game. But things have moved on in the last two years.

The new printer is an Ellegoo Mars 4 Max. It's part of Ellegoo's family of small printers, but this one is scaled up to be intermediate in size between the normal Mars 4 and the Saturn series. The build space has size (x, y, z) = (196, 122, 150), and this is exactly what I need. I can fit the body of a 50' coach into this volume if set it at an angle, which I need to do anyway for proper printing. I can't fit a 65' coach in one piece, but I'm likely to build exactly one of those, ever, so can make other arrangements.

Other improvements in this generation:
  • Higher resolution, possibly useful for printing sculpted things like figures. Even on the old printer, the resolution was good enough for "look, you can read the writing on the axlebox covers". It may improve the flatness of some surfaces.
  • Higher-power LCD, giving short print times.
  • Better optics, giving a more even beam and a better chance to print to the edges of the build plate.
  • Proper protection of the LCD screen from leakage of the resin. (This self-destruct tendency if the tank leaked was a good reason not to buy some of the other printers in the range, even at discount.)
  • Apparently, better adhesion to the build plate; it's quite hard to free the prints for washing, and anything printed directly on the bed without supports needs brutality to shift it.
  • New slicing software, forced by Ellegoo's change in working format of the print files, but probably an improvement on Chitubox.

The slicing software is called VoxelDance Tango, which name pings my arty-rubbish detector, but early signs are that it's probably quite good. The first things I noticed were better automatic support-generation than Chitubox and less waste in the baseplates of the prints which are now honeycomb structures. The ergonomics of the new software are dubious, but I still need to learn my way around it.

Early results: it prints my banana-van parts better than the old printer ever managed. There's less warpage, cleaner surfaces, no rounding off at lower corners, and the supports are easier to remove. Where the underframe has a tiny hole in a crank to accept a wire pull-rod, the new printer actually prints the hole whereas the old one filled it in. It seems like a virtuous upgrade.

New printer cost £285, which is very close to the cost of the old one when it was a current design. The Mars 3, last years model, can now be had for about £175, but that is a smaller machine.

More results to follow, with some pictures.

Guy Rixon

Re: Mars 4 Max resin-printer

Postby Guy Rixon » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Notes on the slicer software.

For the Mars 4 series, one is looking to make .goo files instead of the old .cbt files for the previous generation. These are the files actually read into the machine, via USB device, to run the print. The only software currently known to write this format is Voxeldance Tango, but there are rumours that other software will be upgraded for the new format soon. It's currently unclear to me whether files in the old format can be converted to the new.

Voxeldance Tango is paid-for software. Ellegoo include the license fee in the cost of the printer, and the license is unlocked by entering the printer's serial number.

The version of the software that goes with the Ellegoo printers is modified to write their new file-format. The generic Voxeldance Tango product won't work with these printers. The customised version needs to be installed from the USB device supplied with the printer.

When the software started, it detected that a newer version was available and offered to upgrade itself. This upgrade does seem to be the Ellegoo version (I was worried that it would upgrade to the generic version and lose the ability to talk to my printer). Before I upgraded, I was unable to load any STL files into the slicer, so the supplied copy is skipware until upgraded.

The Ellegoo version of the software is said, on-online, to be missing some of the advanced features of the parent package. Allegedly, one can't customise the supports. I haven't tried that yet. Based on a massive statistical sample of two prints, the automatic generation of supports seems to be very effective, so much so that I haven't needed to use custom supports.

To make it work with a specific printer, one has to load a profile of that printer, to set the resolution and such. The profile for the Mars 4 Max is already in the software, but it has to be selected. Press the + button in the Platform Definition screen to get to the list of known profiles (it would have been nice if they'd pointed out this button in the quick-start guide).

Winander

Postby Winander » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:29 pm

Hello Guy,

I have seen posts that .goo files don't implement anti aliasing despite the slicer being set for it. If you want links etc. drop me an email at virtual@scalefour.org
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:53 am

Some results of early prints.

IMG_0228.jpg

These are buffer guides for LSWR fruit-vans, evolved from the ones I used to sell on Shapeways. Two things have changed with the new machine.

First, look at the fasteners: with the higher resolution one can now see the nuts and the studs rather than just blobs in the right places.

Second, and far more important, the new printer actually prints the holes in the guides where the old one used to fill in the 0.55mm hole in the back and narrow the 1mm hole at the front. I no longer need to drill out the 0.55mm hole, just to push out with a buffer tail any uncured gunk that got stuck in there. This eliminates a 50% loss-rate on the older prints and speeds things up. I do need to drill the 1.0mm hole because inefficient washing leaves some resin in there and this cures around the mouth of the guide. Drilling 1.05mm (for extra working clearance) gave 15% breakage rate. Probably I should improve my washing regime so as to avoid the drilling.

IMG_0225.jpg

These are chassis for LNWR fitted wagons. The print from the old printer is on the left and that from the new printer on the right. Where there used to be deformation around the solebar ends, the new prints are square and sharp (the different depths of the solebars are a CAD change). The detail was OK in the old prints but is sharper in the new ones. You can't see the top of the chassis in these pictures, but it's also much cleaner; the old printer used to set the undrained resin on top of the plate between the axleguards.

Overall, a useful improvement in quality. If the old printer was still working I'd be inclined to replace it anyway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Crepello

Postby Crepello » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:03 pm

Guy Rixon wrote:Overall, a useful improvement in quality. If the old printer was still working I'd be inclined to replace it anyway.

May one ask what the old printer was please?

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:17 am

The old printer was a Mars 2.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:56 am

I had my first print failure on the new machine recently (a non-railway thing, mutter mutter) and had to change the FEP film which was wrecked. This is, sadly, routine. Two issues arose.

First, nobody sells FEP sheets specifically sized for the Mars 4 Max. The best match is Elegoo's sheets for the Saturn 2, which are slightly too large. The 0.127mm thickness is appropriate, but most retailers will send you the 0.15mm version. I don't know if the thicker film is OK. I fear that it might not stretch correctly over the tank flange.

Second, the resin tank has a fearsome array of hex-socket screws to remove and replace. There are four different kinds that go in various directions through the three parts of the tank. It's really important to photograph the assembly as you take it apart, else getting the right screws in the right place is a lottery and if you have to take it apart again you've likely scratched the new FEP sheet. You need one photo of the tank bottom before any disassembly. Then, when the clamping frame is removed from the body of the tank, you need a photo of each side of this frame to see where the clamping screws fit.

Winander

Postby Winander » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:06 pm

Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

Guy Rixon

Postby Guy Rixon » Tue Nov 07, 2023 1:19 pm

Yes, but it's been marked as "sold out" for a while now for UK and EU sales, so effectively they don't. The Saturn-2 films are currently available from third-party vendors on Amazon.

CornCrake

Postby CornCrake » Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:08 pm

Return to “Other Workshop Practice”