Potential entry - Oxenholme(ish) Engine Shed c1939

Sub-forum for the layouts....
Winander

Re: Potential entry - Oxenholme(ish) Engine Shed c1939

Postby Winander » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:26 pm

I don't know where I got the idea the box was type 'U' which is the biggest..

LNWR standardisation used a two window and three window frame in various multiples. If the box capacity was 60 levers (see sizing below), it would be a size M of 38ft 712ins. A two window unit was 4ft 1012ins long and size M had four of these, each separated by a pillar. End pillars were 9ins and intermediate 6ins. The length is 7 x 4ft 1012ins + 2 x 9" + 6 x 6". Window height was 4ft 6ins until introduction of the 1903 design when they became 6ft high.

There is a far faraway picture of it in the original edition of Dick Smith's publication taken from the coal hole overlooking the engine shed, still with its northern lights. The fact that it is located between the running lines/main exit of the down layby/engine shed and the track that goes behind the platform 3 trainshed would suggest windows at the rear and it appears these can be seen on the photograph either side of the chimney. I can't imagine anything else other than a brick chimney being on the rear of a signal box, but I am far from an expert.

The Cumbria Railway Society have one image taken from the end of platform 2 looking South and the box can be seen over the bridge. It is ref. PWRX291f31 "LNWR Claughton 4-6-0 approaches from S" but from the thumbnail it looks no better than a silhouette but even this may be useful.

Richard Foster outlines how the cabin size was roughly determined. Count the number of signal arms, point toes, and facing point locks and add an allowance of 10-20% for spare levers. If you can find a signalling diagram for the original box, this should be quite simple. The problem is the replacement box at the end of the up platform had the same No2 designation. The easily distinguished difference between the two is that the old box did not control the branch junction to Windermere.
Richard Hodgson
Organiser Scalefour Virtual Group. Our meeting invitation is here.

IanLMS

Postby IanLMS » Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:53 pm

Wow!! Thank you for all that information. That is going to be very helpful when it comes time to build one. Would for instance a London Road models Type 4 work as a starting point? Or are the box types too distinctly different?

Jol Wilkinson

Postby Jol Wilkinson » Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:31 pm

The LRM kit would make a suitable starting point for a Type 4. Clarendon has a large box from two or more kits while the extended London Road has a box made from two kits.

London Road No 2 SB.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Noel

Postby Noel » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:43 pm

Winander wrote: I can't imagine anything else other than a brick chimney being on the rear of a signal box, but I am far from an expert.

According to the SSG, type 3 and early type 4 had open hearths and brick chimneys, but from the 1880s stoves and stovepipes were fitted instead, and many earlier boxes were later converted to that arrangement. External walkways were also fitted from that year. If there were windows in the rear, then there would still be a blind panel behind the stove.
Regards
Noel

Weskie

Postby Weskie » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:46 pm

There is a write up on building 'Clarendon' signal box in MRJ 101. Hope it might prove useful.
Andy Westcott

Winander

Postby Winander » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:51 pm

IanLMS wrote:London Road models Type 4

Acknowledging that you are not following the prototype, that would be the most suitable design. You need four two-window panels. I don't know what's in the kit but an email will get you an answer.

It looks from the photograph in the Smith book that there is a walkway all around the shed which fits with its location between tracks and having rear windows. The photo does show a brick chimney.

It's disappointing that, despite the photograph being credited to the Cumbria Railway Bowtell Collection, it didn't appear in their search as that could mean others potentially exist.
Richard Hodgson

bécasse

Postby bécasse » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:03 pm

Remarkably, there is a photo of the LRM's etch on the Model Rail Forum together (press <) with a number of photos of the etch made up https://www.modelrailforum.com/media/lnwr-signal-box-etch.1262/

Winander

Postby Winander » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:20 pm

Well found David.

The etch is for a type E box and has two panel windows flanking a three panel window. You need seven two panel windows, so two kits and some butchery should do it. The surplus end windows with the second kit should provide the windows in the rear wall.
Richard Hodgson

IanLMS

Postby IanLMS » Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:01 pm

This is the only picture i can find showing the old signal box.

Thank you to everyone helping me find the right type of box and potential sources of kits/ dimensions etc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Winander

Postby Winander » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:13 pm

The top one (c) W L Harris is much the same as the Cumbria Railways one, so no point in pursuing that avenue. The bottom one clearly shows the platform all the way round which indicates there were windows in the rear because it was there to enable them to be cleaned.
Richard Hodgson

IanLMS

Postby IanLMS » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:58 pm

Thank you for that. I am at York show and had a good chat with John on the London Road stand and looked at the type 4 box. Its a lovely kit and definately the best option so far. MMR laser cut kits also make an lnwr signax box but the windows arent as fine as the etched ones from London Road. Thee would only be £15 difference if i bought 2 of the london road l kits versus the MMR ones.
I had already purchased the turntable kit from them this morning so the SB will have to wait!!

Return to “Challenge Layouts”