Painting 3D printed items

steve howe

Painting 3D printed items

Postby steve howe » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:18 pm

Just unpacked my consignment of a Mink F and a Cordon gas tank, all the way from Tasmania... :D Can anyone advise what primer (if any) is best for 3D printed models?
DSCF3378.JPG

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nberrington

Re: Painting 3D printed items

Postby nberrington » Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:41 pm

Depends on the medium - if they’re resin prints, they feel greasy to me, and I give them a good scrub with a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol. (They do seem to take primer well regardless - unlike regular moulded resin, which is often affected my mould release agents.)I then use regular Tamiya primer.

For the extruded plastic prints, I try work the laminations a bit with a fine sandpaper or emery board, and then use Mr Surfacer primer, that does hide some of the imperfection. I try and avoid them if I can, as I can never get the finish I want.

steve howe

Postby steve howe » Fri Mar 03, 2023 11:42 pm

Thanks Neil, I'm pretty sure mine are resin prints, the quality is very fine. I looked up Mr Surfacer and there appears to be a wide range of products, which do you recommend as a surface primer?

Steve

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:32 am

steve howe wrote:Thanks Neil, I'm pretty sure mine are resin prints, the quality is very fine. I looked up Mr Surfacer and there appears to be a wide range of products, which do you recommend as a surface primer?

Steve

Hi Steve- if the lamination is bad, Mr Surfacer 500 spray will help cover - but beware, it will round edges and cover detail. It’s most useful for roofs. The brush on version is hard to use, but nice for small areas - figures for example.

You can sand the stuff and then a second coat of Mr Surfacer 1000 then gives a finer finish...

jon price

Postby jon price » Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:02 pm

Mr Surfacer says it is laquer based and may cause issues with enamel paint. Any thoughts on using acrylics with it?
Connah's Quay Workshop threads: viewforum.php?f=125

nberrington

Postby nberrington » Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:17 pm

jon price wrote:Mr Surfacer says it is laquer based and may cause issues with enamel paint. Any thoughts on using acrylics with it?

Not sure actually.

On trains I usually use Phoenix paints.

Most of the 3D printed stuff I’ve worked with has been small objects and historical miniatures- acrylic has been fine, although one generally doesn’t handle those….

splam32

Postby splam32 » Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:19 pm

steve howe wrote:Just unpacked my consignment of a Mink F and a Cordon gas tank, all the way from Tasmania... :D Can anyone advise what primer (if any) is best for 3D printed models?
DSCF3378.JPG

Steve

I just use Vallejo primer, either airbrush or aerosol, it works well. I've even tried scraping it off with my finger nails to no avail.

Stephan.wintner

Postby Stephan.wintner » Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:49 pm

jon price wrote:Mr Surfacer says it is laquer based and may cause issues with enamel paint. Any thoughts on using acrylics with it?

Mr. Hobby offers their own line of acrylics, Mr. Aquaeous Color, as well as a line of laquers (Mr. Color). So i would assume they can be applied over Mr. Surfacer - but check - and I'd also imagine most other brands of acrylics would be ok. But I'm not sure, where did you find the "may cause issues with enamels" - does it mention Mr Aquaeous Color?

Return to “Painting and Weathering”