Dinghams - Now available!

peterbkloss

Re: Dinghams - Marc Dobson

Postby peterbkloss » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:40 pm

Winander wrote:
peterbkloss wrote:Hi everyone with an interst in Dinghams

I'm adding this post because people who don't know that Marc Dobson produces a 'Dinghams-like' alternative he calls a Flippem may get confused about the supply of the genuine, original Dinghams.

MarcD's website is https://pregroupingrailways.com/2022/01/01/new-flippem-automatic-coupling-system-in-both-4mm-and-7mm-scales/

Yes I was aware of his full 'Flippem' product, I had been after the longer loops he sells to fit to existing Dinghams

Thanks too for the hint as to why he may have had more important things to do, I hadn't thought of looking at his own website!

kind regards, Peter

David Knight

Re: Dinghams

Postby David Knight » Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:28 am

A hint for using the loops if you get them Peter. If you are using the standard Dingham hook, the half etch tab on the underside that restricts the travel of the arm holding the soft iron tail is on the wrong side for the Flippem loop. The loop can be adapted to work properly by bending the pivot eyes in the opposite direction so that the half etch is on the outside of the loop instead of the inside as would be normal for a Dingham loop. I suspect the switch had something to po with the patent taken out on the original Dingham. If this is confusing I can send a pic tomorrow but the problem will become obvious when you try to fit your first loop.

Cheers,

David

dhgpenney

Postby dhgpenney » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:10 pm

Did Scalefour complete the purchase of the rights to supply 4mm Dingham couplings?

gavin
Web Team

Postby gavin » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:43 am

The Society has indeed gained the rights to sell the Dingham Couplings.

There have been, unfortunately, some issues with the etching of these - very much outside the control of the Society. They will appear eventually.

If anyone is frustrated by their unavailability you can be certain that the Society is working to make them appear - I can assure you that the combined frustration of everyone awaiting their arrival probably does not come close to that of our Stores Officer Jeremy Suter, who is having to deal with all this in the background!

Gavin
Scalefour News Editor

MarcD

Postby MarcD » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:35 am

I have a good supply of Flippems standard packs (Dingham equivalent) and loops in stock. I have more starter packs on order.
Marc
www.pregroupingrailways.com for everything built before 1923

Alastairr
Web Team

Re: Dinghams - Now available

Postby Alastairr » Fri Apr 12, 2024 1:21 pm

Now available in the Stores. Under Misc products, code DING - Dingham Coupling Etch - £10.

Here is the contents of the etch....

IMG_8356[1].JPG

Also, another new product is three part track cleaning etched tool.

RCLT - Track Cleaning Tool Etch - £8

IMG_8354[1].JPG

IMG_8355[1].JPG

Available to order now (other products also back in stock).

Thanks,
Alastair
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve Carter

Re: Dinghams - Now available!

Postby Steve Carter » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:24 am

Good news for those of us Dingham users.

Getting to this point of now being able to supply the 4mm version not been as straightforward as we hoped when the Gauge O Guild (GOG) approached us about supplying the 4mm version back in November 2022 and thanks in particular must go to Jeremy Suter for his perseverance in overcoming all the various issues we have encountered along the way :thumb

I understand, but am sure I will be corrected if wrong, that we are supplying the coupling etch only? This leaves members to obtain 0.5mm wire for the pivot and soft iron wire for the dropper.

Instructions have been kindly provided by the GOG -
REV03.12.2023-DIngham Autocoupler instructions 4mm.pdf

Mark Davys excellent and informative article on his experience of using Dinghams couplings appeared in Scalefour News 233
s4news233.pdf
and gives his suggestions for both the dropper wire as well as electromagnets.

Thanks

Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve Carter

Return to “Couplings”