Mainline/Perseverance J72

davebradwell

Re: Mainline/Perseverance J72

Postby davebradwell » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:03 am

There was also a BR version of the cover and the 2 types were swapped around so it's impossible to predict - compare 69024 and 25. There's not much in the RCTS green books, now accessible on-line.

My cover was a left-over from a Connoisseur N10 although it needed "adjustment". Didn't Ricey do one, although I don't remember thinking he'd got-it.

DaveB

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:16 am

davebradwell wrote: There's not much in the RCTS green books, now accessible on-line.

My cover was a left-over from a Connoisseur N10 although it needed "adjustment". Didn't Ricey do one, although I don't remember thinking he'd got-it.

DaveB

The RCTS book was my next option but mine are boxed up right now.
I thought Iain Rice might have done one too, but there's nothing on the MSE/Wizard site.
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Noel

Postby Noel » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:23 am

Hardwicke wrote:The RCTS book was my next option but mine are boxed up right now.

As Dave B said, they are available online on the RCTS website. No charge, just register.
Regards
Noel

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:34 am

I've found on the 247 website "SV13 SAFETY VALVE NER WORDSELL". No picture, class distinction or dimensions. It's a bit like saying "GWR wheel".
Ordsall Road (BR(E)), Forge Mill Sidings (BR(M)), Kirkcliffe Coking Plant (BR(E)), Swanage (BR (S)) and Heaby (LMS/MR). Acquired Thorneywood (GNR). Still trying to "Keep the Balance".

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:21 am

London Road models do a NER safety valve bonnet; is this the one you are after?

I can't find a picture of it on their website but I would imagine it comes from one of their kits and John should be able to tell you which so you can eyeball it from their. It is a nice casting, in lost wax as I have used it on a Highland loco.

Can I return with a question, similar in topic as I am doing a J72 as well. I decided I could live with the safety valve but not the chimney. Is the chimney for a J25 the correct one for the J72?
Mark Tatlow

zebedeesknees

Postby zebedeesknees » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:35 am

A quick look through https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p332087502 shows a large number of different bits of boiler furniture, chimneys, and bonnets of various shapes and sizes. 'Live with' is apt...

Ted.
(A purists' purist)

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:39 am

An emphatic no to your chimney question, Mark - there's a chart of chimneys in Hoole's NER Locomotives (History of) and the J25 is fatter and shorter. You can do wonders on the plastic chimney with files and drilling out the hole, gently, a little at a time.

Seems the Scottish engines in time developed a look of their own.

Good idea to attack the snap headed rivets on the smokebox as well to reduce them to the bump you see in photos - they're countersunk but weren't dressed off in later times. Then there's the smokebox door if I remember and certainly the angles on the cab roof.

DaveB

Mark Tatlow

Postby Mark Tatlow » Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:16 pm

Thanks Ted/Dave,

I will take a longer look at the Mainline chimney as reworking the existing is definitely the preferred option.

I only have this loco as an accident; I tried to build it in EM as a try out of Bill Bedford chassis (which I liked) but it will not build down to even EM (which I did not like!) and the instructions even tell you this (which I hate!). So simple, cheap and easy but P4 is the order of the day!
Mark Tatlow

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:23 pm

zebedeesknees wrote:A quick look through https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p332087502 shows a large number of different bits of boiler furniture, chimneys, and bonnets of various shapes and sizes. 'Live with' is apt...

Ted.

Hmm. Buffers, chimneys, safety valve covers, etc. . Lots to think about. A North Eastern liveried one might be easier! It could be an interloper from Doncaster via the South Yorkshire Joint onto my Midland line.

Porcy Mane

Postby Porcy Mane » Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:56 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote: I decided I could live with the safety valve but not the chimney. Is the chimney for a J25 the correct one for the J72?

Good advice from Bradders. Dunno if this pic of a Palitoy/Mainline J72 and LRM chimneys compared helps.

J72-CSB-Chassis-039-© PwD2023-EditSm.jpg

I think it was Dave's J27 mould six that helps with improving the buffers and sandbox covers.

P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:26 pm

Although good in the 70's the Mainline J72 is a bit of an oddball mix of eras. The buffers bear no resemblance to anything on the real thing and the smokebox door wheel was rare by BR times. I've started hacking the tank fronts which should be vertical and not follow the boiler profile. The chassis is awaiting wheels and motor.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:27 pm

Thanks for the advice on the safety valves.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Nov 20, 2023 3:46 pm

Mark Tatlow wrote:London Road models do a NER safety valve bonnet; is this the one you are after?

I can't find a picture of it on their website

Mark, I've looked at the loco kits with pictures and the smaller boilered locos seem to suit. I have confidence in them if they are ex George Norton design as I've used his Midland ones.

Hardwicke

Postby Hardwicke » Mon Nov 20, 2023 7:14 pm

Body work
I wasn't happy about the solid tank fronts and lack of gap along the boiler so the saw and knife came out. I cut into the boiler a couple of times by accident but the removed material is now in place waiting for the plastic to harden before filing smooth. I removed the oversized handrail knobs too.
The cab front didn't sit right on one side so that got sorted too. Whilst I was at it I removed the buffer heads and made a metal plate for the chassis to screw into.
I broke the filler cap hand rail on one side and lost part of the whistle where it fits into the cab.
IMG20231120162325_BURST001_COVER.jpg

IMG20231120162330.jpg

IMG20231120183042.jpg

IMG20231120183107.jpg
IMG20231120183120.jpg
IMG20231120183211.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

davebradwell

Postby davebradwell » Mon Nov 20, 2023 8:08 pm

To judge your safety valve casing, look at it from side and the narrowest part should be the top. The duds have a 'waist' and flare out wider at the top - this is wrong. Looks like you'll have to drill out the slot in the top but this is normal although holding it will be difficult with brass.

As for chimney, smallest diameter should be 4.50 with top rim at 7.16. Height 12.67. The great thing about the original chimney is it sits nicely on the smokebox and it's a lot of work getting this right.

DaveB

Return to “Hardwicke”